Image from 1917 Suffolk Chronicle and Mercury newspaper


Born: 6th January 1877, Newton Flotman, Norfolk.

Baptised: 10th August 1881, Redenhall with Harleston & Wortwell, Norfolk – Mother – Sarah Ward.

Died: 31st July 1917; age 41; KiA.

Occupation: a Postman for 26 years, 16 of which were spent in Ipswich.

Residence: 53, Finchley Road, Ipswich.

Enlistment Location: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk.


Rank: Private; Service Number: 329182

Regiment: Suffolk Regiment, 8th Battalion.

Formerly 7879, Cambridge Regiment.


Medals Awarded: Victory & British War.


Memorial Reference:

Panel 21.

Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial,

West Vlaanderen,



Relatives Notified & Address: Husband of Edith Ward, of 23, Devonshire Road, Ipswich.




1881   Jays Green, Redenhall, Norfolk.


Brighton was 4 years old and living with his widowed mother & siblings.

Sarah Ward (nee Brown), 31, a Charwoman, born Newton Flotman, Norfolk.

Minnie Ward, 14, born Shelton, Norfolk.

Arthur Ward, 12, born Fritton, Norfolk.

Frederick Ward, 8, born Long Stratton, Norfolk.

William Ward, 9, Long Stratton.

2 young boarders.


1891   Jays Green, Redenhall, Norfolk.


Brighton was 14, an Errand Boy. He was living with mother & brother.

Sarah, 42, a Charwoman.

Arthur, 29, a rural Messenger – G.P.O.


1911   67, Finchley Road, Ipswich.


Brighton was 34 years old, a Postman – G.P.O. He was married & Head of the Household.

Edith, 35.

Ethel, 12.


In 1898. in the district of Hoxne, Brighton married Edith Reeve, 1876, Starston, Norfolk. They had 1 daughter:

Ethel May Ward, born 1899, Harleston, Norfolk.


Brighton’s father was William Ward, born 1846, Denton, Norfolk.


Brighton was appointed postman in Ipswich, in November 1902.


Soldiers’ Effects to Edith Ward – widow.


Brighton is also remembered on the war memorial on:

Christ Church United Reformed Church, Tacket Street, Ipswich – formerly from the Crown Street Congregational Church, Ipswich, the Royal Mail Centre, Commercial Road, Ipswich 



Suffolk Regiment, 8th Battalion

The Battle of Ypres 1917

The Suffolk Regiment the 8th Battalion the battle of Pilckem Ridge

31st July 1917 Regimental records show:

The attacking front of nearly 8 miles from the Menin road to the Zillebeke-Zandvoorde road.

A scene of the most desperate fighting in the opening battle, although the depth of the British advance was greatest in the direction of Langemarck.

The 8th Battalion reached its assembly position about 02:00 hrs on the 31st July and by zero hour (03:50 hrs) had established its headquarters at Wellington Crescent.

As “C” Company was passing through Zillebecke a shell burst amongst them, killing and wounding several of the men.

The 8th Suffolk’s and the 6th Royal Berkshire, ready and expected, waited for the front-line reports that would tell them the way was clear for them to advance. Due to a tragic mistake the 30th Divisional infantry wheeled to their left and assaulted the Chateau Wood instead of Glencorse Wood causing a fatal gap in the line and reported that the Glencorse Wood had been taken when part of the Wood was still in German hands.

Early in the Morning Lieut. Bolingbroke went forward with the battalion scouts to clear Sanctuary Wood and place signposts to guide the companies. They came under fire from the corner of the Wood, Cpl. Fletcher being twice wounded. This was the work of a daring sniper, who did much damage before he was killed. Soon after 06:00hrs Lieut. Bolingbroke sent back a message to say that the 30th Division were on the North side of the Menin road and in the Chateau Wood.

As the troops advanced a barrage was encountered in the splintered remains of Sanctuary Wood, on the far edge of which they came under a destructive machinegun and rifle fire. A platoon of “B” company under Lieut. Chibnall, was the first to get up to Lieut. Bolingbroke. These two Officers decided to attack the Second line (Surbiton Villa) with such troops as they could collect, and without waiting for support. The line was taken, Lieut. Chibnall and Sgt .J. Mason MM. being killed and Lieut. Bolingbroke wounded at the head of the platoon. In the course of the severe fighting in the vicinity of Surbiton Villa, Pte F.J.Read with a small party of “A” Company (Major H.A.Angier.MC) rushed a German machine-gun, killing the whole team.

The Battalion got on the Menin road near Clapham Junction and advanced several hundred yards beyond it, where they were checked and forced to take up a line of shell holes. The attack practically finished here, as by this time the enemy were in great strength round Glencorse Wood.

While Major Fache was crawling up the Menin road with a runner, a cock pheasant alighted about fifty yards ahead of them, though shells were dropping everywhere. The runner shot the bird, carrying it out of action on the end of his rifle with great pride. It was possibly not the first time he had killed game without a licence.

By this time all our tanks had been put out of action. The battalion, having advanced altogether nearly a mile and made a hard but unavailing fight to get still further, now dug themselves in. Thus ended, as far as the 8th Battalion was concerned, the battle of Pilckem Ridge, in which they sustained 177 casualties.

Suffolk Regiment Battalion movements

Suffolk Regiment website

Friends of The Suffolk Regiment





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top