image courtesy of Nick Wiggin

Born: 4th April 1895, Ipswich.

Died on or since death presumed: 12th August 1915; age 20; KiA.

On August 12th he took part in the attack on the Turkish position at Suvla Bay and was among a party who gained their objective but could not be reinforced.  He was reported missing and is now presumed killed.

Enlistment Location: Colchester, Essex.

Date of Entry Therein: 10th August 1915 – Balkans – Gallipoli & Aegean


Rank: Private; Service Number: 2518

Regiment: Suffolk Regiment, 5th Battalion.


Medals Awarded: Victory, British War & 1915 Star.


Memorial Reference:

Panels 46 & 47.

Helles Memorial,

Turkey (including Gallipoli).


Relatives Notified: Son of John Chenery Wiggin & Alice Harriet Wiggin, of 7, Constitution Hill, Ipswich.




1901   3, Crane Hill, Ipswich.


John was 5 years old and living with his parents, siblings & maternal aunt.

John Chenery Wiggin, 38, a Pharmaceutical Chemist – own account, born Ipswich.

Alice Harriett Wiggin (nee Nunn), 31, born Romford, Essex.

Freda Mary Wiggin, 7, born Ipswich.

Felix Wilfred Wiggin, 4, born Ipswich.

Mary Isabel Nunn, 26, born Haughley, Suffolk.

2 servants.


The Wiggin children: (Top) Freda , John, Felix, Aline, Muriel.

1911   The Hostel, College Green, Worcester, Worcestershire.


John was 15 years old a boarder & pupil at Worcester King’s School.


John attended Ipswich School – entered 1906, before attending the Cathedral Choir School, followed by The King’s School, Worcester, where he resided at The Hostel, College Green.

His obituary appears in the November 1916 edition of the school’s magazine The Vigornian.  Written by the Headmaster, W.H. Chappel, it read thus:


  1. H. Wiggin, the elder son of Mr. J. C. Wiggin, of Ipswich, entered the School as the first Dean Forest Scholar from the Cathedral Choir School in January, 1910.  Placed in the Third Form he rose rapidly and left in the Sixth Form in December, 1913.  Debarred by a hesitation in speech from pursuing his earlier aim of taking Holy Orders, he worked and qualified for a post in the Civil Service.  He was one of the first to enlist at the outbreak of the War in the Suffolk Regiment, with which he went to Egypt and Gallipoli.  On August 12th he took part in the attack on the Turkish position at Suvla Bay and was among a party who gained their objective but could not be reinforced.  He was reported missing and is now presumed killed.  His Colonel writes that both he and the Adjutant had looked forward to a commission for him.  While at the Choir School he was an excellent Monitor [i.e. Prefect] and later on showed great perseverance in overcoming difficulties, winning the respect of all who knew him.

Obituary courtesy of Harriet Patrick – Archivist at The King’s School, Worcester.


Soldiers’ Effects to John C. Wiggin – father.


John is also remembered on the Ipswich School Chapel, St. Matthew’s Church Memorial Ipswich and on the Worcester Cathedral Old Choristers Memorial Window, Worcester King’s School Window & Worcester King’s School Memorial.

The Gallipoli Campaign (Dardanelles Campaign) 17th February 1915 – 9th January 1916

The aims of the Campaign were the capturing the Ottoman Empire’s capital Constantinople and the opening  up of a new front taking German and Turkish forces away from Europe and North Africa.  Providing a better sea route rout to Russia and the Black sea. The campaign was a Anglo-French task force but is more better known for the contribution and fierce fighting from the Commonwealth forces from Australian and New Zealand force the “ANZAC” (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps). The Campaign was to fail due to poor mapping and planning.  The forces landing on beaches with steep cliffs and soon became bogged down with trench warfare, disease and supply routes hampered by the enemy. Evacuating in January 1916

It is estimated that over 50,000 British and commonwealth dead and over 100,000 wounded sustained from the campaign.    

 Suffolk Regiment, 5th Battalion

The 5th Suffolk’s landed at Sulva Bay at “A” beach on the 10th of August Gallipoli, taking up positions on the right flank of the Lancashire Fusiliers trenches which were on the south face of Karakol Dagh. The terrain was difficult to navigate. On the 12th August a naval bombardment began 4p.m. the troops moved forward through the confused hedgerows ditches and scrub. The attack consisting of the 1/5th Norfolk on the right 1/8th Hampshire in the centre, 1/5th Suffolk’s on the left with 1/4th Norfolk’s in support. With several mounted artillery pieces. The attack was met by heavy machine gun fire and shelling from both flanks, they advanced 1,500 yards, holding their position for an hour before retiring back 200 yards for better defendable position. The Norfolk’s pushed further forward deep into the Turkish line losing contact with the other Battalions but were soon overwhelmed and surrounded at great cost.
The 1/5th Suffolk’s lost 11 officers 178 men, with 6 officers and 20 men being evacuated.

 Suffolk Regiment Battalion movements


Friends of The Suffolk Regiment



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top