Image from the Suffolk Chronicle And Mercury
Image from The Sphere – 27th July 1918
Born: 1897, Ipswich.
Died: 14th April 1918; age 21; Died of Wounds.
On the outbreak of war he decided to leave school. He obtained a commission in August 1914, in the 4th Battalion, of the Suffolk Regiment; going to France in November when just 17 1/2. He saw considerable fighting in 1915, before being sent home sick. Horace was then retained on Home Service till he was 19 years old. He obtained his second pip in July 1916. Known in the forces as ‘Baby Brown,’ Horace was an Intelligence Officer on the Brigade Staff and afterwards on the Divisional Staff.
Ipswich School magazine – June 1918.
Residence: “Villette” Tuddenham Road, Ipswich.
Date of Entry Therein: 8th November 1914.
Regiment: Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion (Territorial).
Medals Awarded: Victory, British War & 1914 Star + Military Cross awarded on the 1st January 1917.
- E. 33.
Relatives Notified and Address: Son of Edgar Jermyn Brown and Annie Josephine Brown, of “Villette” Tuddenham Road, Ipswich.
Brother to ERIC LANDON BROWN – KiA.
1901 Villette, Tuddenham Road, Ipswich.
Horace was 3 years old and living with his parents & siblings.
Edgar Jermyn Brown, 44, a Timber Merchant – employer, born Ipswich.
Annie Josephine Brown (nee Lovely), 42, born Calcutta, India.
Cecil Jermyn Brown, 14, born Ipswich.
Eric Landon Brown, 12, born Ipswich.
Nina Josephine Brown, 11, born Ipswich.
Edith Annie Brown, 10, born Ipswich.
Keith William Brown, 8, born Ipswich.
Harcourt Glyn Brown, 7, born Ipswich.
1911 Villette, Tuddenham Road, Ipswich.
Horace was 13 years old and living with his parents & siblings.
Edgar, 54, a Timber Merchant – employer.
Eric, 22, a Timber Merchant.
Horace was educated at Ipswich School – entered the Preparatory School in September 1906, and reached the VI Form in September 1913. He was a member of the School O.T.C. and became a Prefect in 1914. He won his 1st XI. football colours in the 1913-1914 season. His 1st XI. cricket colours in 1913, and captained the XI. in 1914.Horace was the school champion in the athletic sports at Easter 1914.
Horace’s brother Cecil was an author & editor in the 1920’s & 1930’s. Cecil abridged and edited The Three Musketeer’s by Alexandre Dumas in 1936.
Probate to Edgar Jermyn Brown – father, a timber merchant.
Soldiers’ Effects to Edgar Jermyn Brown – father, and later to Mrs. Annie J. Brown – mother.
Mary at the Quay Church, Ipswich.
Horace’s maternal grandfather was the Reverend George Lovely was born in November 1825, Dublin, Ireland. In Dublin, 1851, George married Margaret Sarah Robinson. During December 1855 he was appointed by the Hon’ble Court of Directors an Assistant Chaplain of the Bengal Establishment. He sailed on the Royal Navy steam two deck battle ship S.S.’Agamemnon,’ and on arrival reported to the Presidency on the 9th. In 1871, George was Chaplain of Gowhatty. On the 7th November 1876, Reverend George Lovely, clerk, was licensed to the Vicarage or Perpetual Curacy of St. Mary Key Church, Ipswich. The Reverend George Lovely remained vicar of St. Mary Key Church until his death in February 1895, at 32, Foundation Street, Ipswich. Margaret Lovely died in April 1906.
WILLIAM BROWN & Co., TIMBER MERCHANTS
Horace’s paternal family business Messrs. William Brown and Co., Timber Merchants of Ipswich and Woodbridge, was established by his great grandfather, William Brown, born December 1779, Framlingham, Suffolk. William married Harriet Jermyn. William’s business supplied sawn and prepared wood. He died in 1851, Ipswich and laid to rest at St. Nicholas’ Churchyard, Ipswich. The timber business was succeeded by William’s sons and grandsons for three generations.
Horace’s paternal grandfather, William Brown, born 1820, Ipswich and married to Esther Landon, took charge of his father’s business when only 19 years old. Being a young man of great energy, the business quickly developed, until it was found necessary to expand the premises so as to keep pace with the constantly increasing trade. William purchased a convenient site on the other side of Friars’ Road, then forming the late Mrs. Orman’s garden. Here he erected saw mills and other plant on a large scale, and did an extensive business in Ipswich and a branch at Woodbridge, Suffolk. At one period, Mr. Joshua Farrar Ranson, of 6, Friars Road, Ipswich, a Timber Merchant was associated with him in trade until he left to reside in Norwich, Norfolk. Mr. Henry Ridley, of 26, St. Nicholas Street, Ipswich, a Timber Merchant and Town Councillor filled his place. William Brown continued his active supervision of the business until a junction was effected with Messrs. Charles Taylor, of Mistley House, High Street, Mistley, a Bank Manager and Timber Merchant and Joseph Richard Butler, of High Street, Manningtree, Timber Merchant. The partnership which worked well, with each firm retaining its respective style. It was at this time when the two businesses merged that William Brown sought retirement, and handed over his interest to his sons, of whom the eldest, Edgar Brown, and the youngest, Arthur Brown are identified with the Ipswich business; the third so, Philip Brown, had charge of the Woodbridge branch. The second son, Frank Brown, was an Architect by profession. William Brown, of Gippeswyck Hall, died at Tunbridge Wells, in October 1891. He was at the time of his death a member of the Ipswich Dock Commission, and of the Ipswich Museum Committee, and for some time filled the office of churchwarden of St. Nicholas Parish Church.
Horace’s father, Edgar Jermyn Brown in June 1893, erected new saw mills in their yard at Friars Road. By using gas instead of steam the machinery supplied by Messrs. A. Ransome and Co., of Chelsea, was capable of working a log frame, deal timber, two circular saws and moulding simultaneously. The motor power was one of Otto’s gas engines (16 h.p. nominal) which was fixed by Messrs. Warner and Son, of Princess Street, Ipswich. Messrs. William Brown & Co. had for some years used gas for this purpose at Woodbridge, and believed they were the first firm to employ it for driving a saw mill in Ipswich. Besides the mill they had a steam mill in their yard near the docks,
Later the company became incorporated as a Limited Company and in 1906, amalgamated with Palfreman & Co., and George Mason, in 1911. William Brown & Co., and grown at their wharf at Ipswich docks and environs merchants and importers of timber, builders merchants, cement, plaster and slate merchants.
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion