Image from the Suffolk Chronicle And Mercury – 1917


Born: 1884, Ipswich.

Died on or since: 13th November 1916, age 32; KiA.

Occupation: John Fisher Limited.

Enlistment: Ipswich.


Rank: Private; Service Number: 43368

Regiment: Suffolk Regiment, 2nd Battalion.

Formerly 2333, Suffolk Cyclist Battalion.


Medals Awarded: Victory & British War.


Memorial Reference:

Pier & Face 1C & 2A.

Thiepval Memorial.




Relatives Notified & Address: Son of Louisa Maria Varley, of Vine Cottage, Duke Street & the late Charles James Varley.




1891   8, Salem Street, Ipswich.


Frederick was 6 years old & living with his parents & brothers.

Charles James Varley, 30, a Plumber & Gas Fitter, born Ipswich.

Louisa Maria Varley (nee Fisher), 29, born Aldeburgh, Suffolk.

Maurice Gordon Varley, 5, born Ipswich.

Percy Edward Varley, 1, born Ipswich.


1901   8, Salem Street, Ipswich.


Frederick was 16 years old, a Hosier’s Apprentice. He was living with his widowed mother & siblings.

Louisa, 39, a Housekeeper.

Violet Varley, 9, born Ipswich.

Charles Louis Varley, 5, born Ipswich.


1911   32, High Street, Montlake, Surrey.


Frederick was 26 years old, a Clothier’s Assistant. He was 1 of 6 members of staff living & working together.


Frederick‘s father, Charles James Varley, died in April 1900, at his residence – 8, Salem Street, Ipswich.


Soldiers’ Effects to Louisa M. Varley – mother.


Frederick is also remembered on the war memorial at St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich.


Suffolk Regiment, 2nd Battalion

The Battle of Ancre in the Serre sector was the last of the 1916 Battles of the Somme for the 2nd Battalion. The weather had been very poor with flooded trenches, and many communication trenches being abandoned.  The Battalion was sent into the line on the 6th November for an attack but was later cancelled through more bad weather and rescheduled for the 10th, this too was cancelled. On the night of the 12th, the Battalion moved out onto open positions, moving off at 05:00 hrs on the 13th. Moving in extremely muddy conditions making slow progress through “no man’s land” taking the first wave 45 minutes to reach the German lines. The weather had given them good cover, but all officers on the first wave were casualties, despite this, the Suffolk’s reached the second line. Holding it the rest of the day the battalion was unable to move more men up through the mud and wire failing to reorganise. The battalion returned to the line taking 272 casualties.


Suffolk Regiment Battalion movements


Friends of The Suffolk Regiment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top