Born: 1918, Rushmere St. Andrew, Suffolk.

Died: 27th March 1943; age: 25; died after an aviation gasoline explosion while repairs were being made aboard H.M.S. ‘Dasher’ 5 miles south of the Isle of Cumbrae, North Ayrshire, Scotland.

Residence: 123, Rushmere Road, Rushmere St. Andrew, Suffolk.


Rank: Sub Lieutenant (E).

Regiment: Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve, H.M.S. ‘Dasher.’


Laid to rest in a joint Grave with 25 year old Sub Lieutenant William Pratt Haughie – son of John Haughie and Margaret Pattison Haughie (nee Pratt), of Glasgow, Scotland.


Grave Reference:

D.Mid West Division Joint Grave 125.

Ardrossan Cemetery,





Relatives Notified & Address: Son of Hayward & Eleanor Buxton, of Ipswich.


Father: Hayward William Buxton, born 1878, Ipswich.

Mother: (nee Pells), born 1879, Ipswich – died June 1922, at Felixstowe, Suffolk, of ‘Frogmore’ Rushmere Road, Rushmere St. Andrew, Suffolk.


Probate to Hayward William Buxton – father.


Trevor is also remembered on the war memorial at Rushmere St. Andrew, Suffolk.


During the Second World War, Trevor’s sister, Joy Mildred Doreen Buxton became a Nursing Sister for the mobile Voluntary Aid Detachment of the Royal Navy. She continued nursing after the war.


27th March 1943

H.M.S. ‘Dasher’ was an escort carrier of the Avenger Class. Originally named ‘Rio de Janerio.’ was built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. as an American passenger and merchant ship. She was converted by Tietjen & Long shipyards, New Jersey, and commissioned into the Royal Navy on the 2nd July 1942 – re-named ‘H.M.S. ‘Dasher.’

On March 27, 1943, H.M.S. ‘Dasher’ (Captain Lennox Albert Knox Boswell DSO, RN) had spent the day completing a number of deck landing exercises with the aircraft of 891, 816 and 837 Naval Air Squadrons in preparation for a night torpedo attack against the German battleship ‘Tirpitz,’ the largest warship ever to have been built in Europe. Many of the crew had gone below deck, getting ready for shore leave on arrival at Greenock. At 4:40pm, just off Little Cumbraes Island, in the Clyde estuary there was a massive blast which rocked the ship and sent her aircraft lift soaring high into the air. The sudden blast caused caused the loss of the main engine and electrical power. Attempts to fight the fires proved unsuccessful and the ship was abandoned. H.M.S. ‘Dasher’ sank at 4:48pm, six minutes after the explosion.

There were many theories and rumours as to what caused the explosion. An enquiry found the explosion most likely occurred in the main petrol compartment, and was possibly ignited by a discarded cigarette butt. 379 men were lost, 149 survived.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top