Bert is not remembered on the war memorial at Christchurch Park.
Born: 2nd January 1888, 8, Siloam Place, St. Clement’s, Ipswich.
Died: 7th June 1917; age 29; KiA at Messines.
Residence: Port Sunlight, Cheshire.
Employed: as a Soap Maker at Lever Brother’s Sunlight Soap Factory.
Enlistment Location: Port Sunlight, Cheshire.
Date of Entry Therein: 25th September 1915 – France.
Rank: Private; Service Number: W/1122.
Regiment: Cheshire Regiment, 13th Battalion.
Medals Awarded: Victory, British War & 1915 Star.
1891 41, John Street, Ipswich.
Bertie was 3 years old and living with his parents & sisters.
Samuel Woods, 38, a Moulder – Iron Foundry, born Gorton, Manchester, Lancashire.
Mary Ann Woods (nee Alderton), 31, born Ipswich.
Elizabeth Woods, 8, born Manchester.
Agnes Maud Woods, 5, born Ipswich – died 1898, Ipswich.
Alice Lily Woods, 1, born Ipswich.
1901 St. John’s Home for Boys & Girls, Freehold Road & Bloomfield Street, Ipswich.
Bertie was 13 years old, an Inmate with his 11 year old, sister Alice.
1911 14, Queens Place, Lower Tranmere, Birkenhead, Cheshire.
Bertie was 23 years old, a Sunlight Soap Maker Lever Brother’s soap factory. He was a boarder at the family home of 35 year old, Alfred Charles Goose, a Railway Contractors Labourer.
Bertie’s mother, Mary Ann Woods died 1892, Ipswich.
On the 13th October 1912, at St. Matthew’s Church, Scotland Road, Liverpool, Lancashire, 24 year old, Bert, a Labourer, of 24, Victoria Square, Liverpool, married 24 year old, Catherine Murray, of 31, Victoria Square, Liverpool.
Soldiers’ Effects to Catherine Woods – widow.
Extra information and help courtesy of David Horne.
A separate home for pauper children was first proposed by Ipswich Union in around 1870. This was an unusual step for non-metropolitan unions at this time, and may have been the result of space shortage at the Great Whip Street workhouse. Plans were produced in 1871 and 1873 for a long building with a central block flanked by separate wings containing boys’ and girls’ accommodation. The building, eventually erected at Bloomfield Street in 1879, accommodated 80 boys and 50 girls. The boys were taught to work on the land, and in tailoring and shoe-making. The girls were taught needlework and other household skills to equip them for domestic service. A small infirmary was later added.