RICHARD FOWLER WARD M.B. (Lond.) F.R.C.S. Honorary Surgeon, East Suffolk Hospital, Ipswich.

Born: 1901, 40, Berners Street, Ipswich.

Died: 5th May 1941; age: 39; killed during the Belfast Blitz.


Rank: Major; Service Number: 41352.

Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps, No. 20 General Hospital.


Grave Reference:

Glenalina Extension A.S. 99.

Belfast City Cemetery,

County Antrim,



Relatives Notified & Address: Son of Frank Fowler Ward & Florence Emily Ward, of Ipswich; husband of Mary Lilian Ward, of Ipswich.




1911   40, Berners Street, Ipswich.


Richard was 8 years old and living with his parents & siblings.

Frank Fowler Ward, 40, a Medical Practitioner – own account – at home, born Blackfordby, Leicestershire.

Florence Emily Ward (nee King), 38, born Northborough, Lincolnshire.

John Fowler Ward, 9, born Ipswich.

May Elizabeth Ward, 5, born Ipswich.

Dorothy Fowler Ward, 3, born Ipswich.

1 governess.

1 housemaid.

1 cook.


Richard was educated at Ipswich School. He was known at school by the nickname ‘Doctor.’


Richard’s father was a Freemason, in 1908, he became a member of the British Union Lodge, Ipswich.


In 1931, Ipswich, Richard married Mary Lilian Turner, born May 1905, Ipswich. A Physiotherapist.

They had 2 children.


Richard is also remembered on the Ipswich School Chapel war memorial.


A very beautiful window was on 12th April 1947 dedicated at St. Clement’s Church, by the Rev. P.B.Clayton, C.H., M.C., in memory of Richard Fowler Ward, M.B., F.R.C.S.


Campbell College, British Military Hospital, 4th/5th May 1941.

Campbell College was evacuated in 1940 and the buildings at the Belmont campus became Number 24 (London) General Hospital. The school’s changing rooms became Operating Theatres and X-Ray Rooms. Baths were installed in the classrooms and over 34000 Servicemen were treated here by October 1945. On the night of 4th/5th May 1941 the Hospital was bombed, 19 Doctors and Patients were killed.

In February 1946 it was returned to civilian use as a school and in 2001 the last of the Nissen Huts, which had been erected in the grounds as wards, was removed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top