Born: 23rd April 1863, 161, Westbourne Terrace, Paddington, Middlesex.

Baptised: 24th May 1863, at Holy Trinity, Paddington, Middlesex. Parents: Sarah & Frederic Peel, a Gentleman, of Westbourne Terrace, Paddington.

Died: 16th April 1900; age: 37; Died of Enteric Fever at Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa.

ENTERIC FEVER   Enteric Fever (eneterica serotype bacteria) was a rampant bacterial infection during the South Africa Boer War – 1899 – 1902.

This systemic disease, now known as Typhoid Fever, from the bacterium Salmonella typhi, is characterised by fever and abdominal pain. The disease is spread via the lymphatic system and can affect other parts of the body, or even the whole body. The symptoms usually develop a week or two after a person has become infected bringing on a high temperature, headaches, coughs, lethargy, aches and pains, loss of appetite, sickness and diarrhoea. After 2 – 3 weeks intestinal bleeding.

Enteric Fever was originally thought to be spread via dust storms and flies.

Human carriers with acute illness can contaminate the surrounding water supply through their faeces, which contain a high concentration of the bacteria. The polluted water supply can, in turn, taint the food supply. Enteric (Typhoid) Fever is then contracted by drinking or eating contaminated food or water. This bacteria can survive for weeks in water or dried sewage.

In 1897, an effective vaccine was developed by Almroth Wright and William Leisman, at the Army Medical School, Netley. At the time of the Boer War, the new inoculation had many side effects, and soldiers refused voluntary immunisation. The inoculation was still voluntary in August 1914, when Great Britain entered the First World War. 

Residence: ‘Highlands’ East Bergholt, Suffolk.


Joined the Royal Irish Rifles, 5th Battalion – gazetted on the 1st September 1882.

Joined the 2nd Life Guards on the 6th May 1885, as a lieutenant.

Promoted to Captain – 19th November 1893.


Rank: Captain.

Regiment: 2nd Life Guards, Household Cavalry.

Formerly of the Royal Irish Rifles, 5th Battalion.


The funeral service was held Tuesday, 26th June 1900.

Grave Reference:

St. Mary the Virgin Church,

East Bergholt,





1871   ‘Highlands’ East Bergholt, Suffolk.


Reginald was 7 years old and living with his widowed mother & brothers.

Sarah Peel (nee Rhodes), 40, born Beech Grove, Leeds, Yorkshire.

Frederic William Haworth Peel, 10, born Paddington, Middlesex – died December 1878, at Colne Park, Halstead, Essex, of ‘Highlands’ East Bergholt.

Herbert Haworth Peel, 5 born East Bergholt.

1 visitor.

1 nurse.

1 cook.

1 housemaid.

1 nursemaid.

1 coachman.

1 footman.


1891   Hyde Park Barracks, Knightsbridge, London.


Reginald was 28 years old, an Army Officer ranked a Lieutenant.

Reginald’s father: Frederic Peel, born 1818, Willingham-by Stow, Lincolnshire – died 1867, East Bergholt, Suffolk. A Fundholder and Gentleman.


Probate to Herbert Haworth Peel Esq. – brother.


Reginald left £25 to each of the corporal-majors of his Squadron, and £1,000, upon trust, to apply the income in defraying the necessary expenses incurred by a trooper when promoted to a lance-corporal.


Picture from The Graphic – Saturday, 5th May 1900.



The funeral of Capt. Reginald Arthur Haworth-Peel, of the 2nd Life Guards, son of Mrs. Peel, of Highlands, East Bergholt, took place at that parish on Tuesday. The deceased officer, who joined the army on the 6th May, 1885, as a lieutenant, and became captain on the 19th November, 1893, succumbed to an attack of enteric fever in a hospital at Bloemfontein. His mortal remains were sent home for interment at East Bergholt, the train conveying them from London reaching Manningtree station at 11:40 on Tuesday morning. A Canterbury hearse was in waiting at the station, and the coffin, wrapped in the Union Jack, was conveyed thence to East Bergholt Church, where the burial service was read, the Rev.-Duke, and the curate (Rev. E.A.B. Creed) officiating. At the conclusion of the service the coffin, on which was the deceased officer’s sword and helmet, was borne thence to the Cemetery, six non-commissioned officers of the Regiment acting as bearers. The grave was lined with moss, ferns, and white clematis; it was excavated beside that in which the remains of the deceased’s father and elder brother were interred. The interment was attended by several hundred parishioners and others. Floral tributes were sent by “His loving and ever sorrowing mother;” Herbert and Monica, “his devoted and sorrowing brother and sister;” H.R.H. the Duke of Cambridge; “In most loving memory,” from Lord Berkley; Capt. Berkeley Levett; “In affectionate remembrance,” Sidney; “In loving memory,” Mrs. Arthur and Miss Wilson; the servants of H.H. Peel, Esq., Calton End, Worcester; one of red, white, and blue flowers inscribed “A token of respect for one who died for his country,” Mrs. Mann; “In loving memory of dear Reggie,” from Mr. and Mrs. Inderwick; In affectionate remembrance,” from Mrs. Halford; “Much sympathy,” from Lady Hughes; “Much sympathy,” from Mrs. Woolley; “Much Sympathy,” from Mrs. Densham; “With deepest sympathy and regret,” from the non-coms and men of the D Squad 2nd Life Guards; “In affectionate remembrance,” from the Non-Coms of his regiment; Mrs. Harmon Bass etc. Messrs. Frederick Fish and Son, of Suffolk House, Ipswich, supplied the funeral, the arrangements being well carried out under the superintendence of Mr. W. Carey.

Though generally away with his regiment Capt. Peel was a ready and willing subscriber to various charities in East Bergholt, where his boyhood was spent.

Suffolk and Essex Free Press – 21st November 1900 – A GARDENER’S DISMISSAL – At Hadleigh County Court on Saturday, before Judge Eardley Wilmot, Herbert Cook, of Stratford St. Mary, gardener, sued Mrs. Peel, of Highlands, East Bergholt for three weeks’ wages (£3.3s.), in lieu of notice.

Mr. W.S. Calvert appeared for Mrs. Peel.

The plaintiff’s case was that he was entitled to a month’s notice.

For the defence, Major Herbert Peel stated that he came to East Bergholt for his brother’s funeral: his mother was an invalid. The gardens were very neglected. On Monday he ordered the plaintiff to be at the Cemetery at two o’clock, to do some work at the grave. The funeral was to take place the next day. At the Cemetery plaintiff got “in a huff,” and was walking off. The witness called him back. He worked a little and then left. When he came back, he said he had to go for a cup of tea and was very abrupt. On the following Friday witness sent for him and told him he was going to give him notice to leave. The plaintiff handed the witness a few shillings for tomatoes he had sold. The witness called his attention to a paragraph in the papers, “H. Cook, 1st prize, grapes.” He said, “Oh! yes; I showed some grapes.” This was on the same day as his brother’s funeral. For his conduct at the graveside and general disobedience witness discharged him then and there.

His Honour gave judgment for the defendant, with costs of one witness and 10s. for a solicitor.

The Boer War.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top