Laid to rest at the Field of Honour.


Born: 30th July 1913, Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales.

Died: 10th August 1944; age: 31; killed in a collision between John’s motor-cycle and an American six wheeled lorry, at Kelsale, Suffolk.

Residence: 113, Foxhall Road, Ipswich.


Rank: Private/Army Dispatch Driver; Service Number: 610867.

Regiment: The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey), 13th Battalion – Infantry.


Grave Reference:


Ipswich Old Cemetery,



Relatives Notified & Address: Son of John Henry & Harriet Gibbs; husband of Joyce Eva Gibbs, of Ipswich.


On the 1st July 1939, Ipswich, John married Joyce Eva Revett, born January 1918, Ipswich.

They had 1 son.


IPSWICH SOLDIER KILLED – Suffolk Chronicle And Mercury newspaper – 18th August 1944.


Inquest Story of Kelsale Collision.


A verdict of “Death by Misadventure” was returned at an inquest at Kelsale on Saturday, when the Corner (Mr. E. Burn) inquired into the death of Pte. John Wm. Richard Gibbs, an Army dispatch rider, whose home is at 113, Foxhall Road, Ipswich. He was killed in collision with an American Army Air Force lorry opposite Kelsale Police Station on Thursday afternoon.

Mr. Kenneth Fisk (Messrs. Marshall, Son and Fisk, of Ipswich) represented the Secretary of State for War and the United States Army authorities.

Lieut. Peter Foster said deceased had been an Army dispatch rider for eighteen months, and was regarded as a first-class motor cyclist, who had completed 150,000 miles.

The driver of the lorry Pte. M.L. Torres, said he was driving a six wheeled lorry from Saxmundham, and was approaching the fork turning near Kelsale Police Station towards Kelsale at a speed of about 30 miles per hour. He knew that part of the road well, and slowed up to see if there was any traffic coming from Yoxford.

He was about eight to ten feet from the white line marking the entrance to the side road when he first saw the motor-cyclist. he tried to accelerate and get into the side road, but the motor-cyclist crashed into the rear of the truck. There was a high hedge on the left side of the main road which obstructed the view. If the vehicle had been a right-hand drive he could have seen up the main road better.

Capt. Acheson, of the R.A.M.C., told the Coroner that the motor-cyclist was dead when he arrived, and that death must have been practically instantaneous.

In returning his verdict the Coroner said he thought that preharps Torres crossed the road a little faster then he should have done, and that Gibbs was travelling fast and preharps not keeping a proper look-out. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top