Born: 2nd November 1892, Ipswich.
Died: 15th April 1917; age 24; Drowned in the sinking of the torpedoed troopship H.T. ‘Arcadian,’ in the Mediterranean.
Residence: 12, Lower Brook Street, Ipswich.
Occupation: House Surgeon to Mr. Dunn, Guy’s Hospital, London.
Ingram had just qualified at Guy’s Hospital, when he then received orders to join the Royal Army Medical Corps. Guy’s Hospital authorities appealed for him for six months leave to act as House Surgeon, which was granted. Two months after the leave Ingram joined up and was sent to Blackpool. Then ordered to Egypt.
Ipswich School magazine – June 1917.
Date of Entry Therein: 23rd March 1917 – Egypt.
Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps.
Medals Awarded: Victory & British War.
1901 12, Lower Brook Street, Ipswich.
Ingram was 8 years old and living with his parents & sisters.
Richard William Brogden, a Surgeon, born Tockwith, Yorkshire.
Constance Mary Brogden (nee Rhodes), 41, born Brixton, Surrey.
Winifred Constance Brogden, 14, born Ipswich.
Edna Mary Brogden, 13, born Ipswich.
Hilda Rhodes Brogden, 11, born Ipswich.
1 children’s maid
1 house parlour maid.
1911 Dacre House, Rock Ferry, Cheshire.
Ingram was 18 years old, a Medical Student. He was a visitor to 49 year old, General Manager – Engineer of Canal Company, Alfred Wolryche Stansfield and his family.
Ingram was educated at Ipswich School – entered 1901 – leaving 1906. Then educated at Marlborough College, Cotton House – entered September 1906 – Midsummer 1910. And then on to Clare College, Cambridge, where in July 1910, Ingram satisfied the examiners in Logic, and passed the Preliminary Examination in Science II (Physics) – Times – 11th October 1911. He was a member of Clare College’s O.T.C., where he was made a Sergeant. On leaving Clare College, Ingram went to Guy’s Hospital, to complete his training for the medical profession. When war broke out he continued his work, and re-joined an O.T.C. while at Guy’s. Ingram qualified M.R.C.S., England, L.R.C.P., London.
Soldiers’ Effects to Richard William Brogden M.B., B.S. – father, of Greystones, 15, Clifton Crescent, Folkstone, Kent.
On the 27th January 1922, Ingram’s widowed mother, Constance M. Brogden, of Ashdown Lodge, Bathurst Road, Folkestone, Kent. applied for the medals due to her late son.
Ingram is also remembered on the Chapel war memorial at Ipswich School, and at Marlborough College, Wiltshire, and also on war memorials at St. Mary at the Quay Church, and St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich, and at Guy’s Hospital, London and as 1 of the 194 men remembered at Clare College, Cambridge, and on the Cotton House Old Boys’ Memorial. Ingram is also commemorated on the war memorial at Weybridge, Surrey. The figure of St Alban in the Triptych in All Souls Chapel of St James’ Church in the town of Weybridge is dedicated to Ingram – probably sponsored by his Weybridge relatives, and also on his parent’s headstone at Folkestone Cheriton Road Cemetery, Kent.
Extra information courtesy of Anne – https://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk/
From the Guy’s Hospital Reports Vol.LXX, War Memorial Number
It was with great regret that all his friends heard that Lt. I. R. R. Brogden was reported by the War Office as “missing, believed drowned” on April 15th. He had been in the R.A.M.C, for some six weeks only and was on his way to Egypt.
Lt. Brogden was 24 years of age and was educated at Marlborough, Clare College, Cambridge, and Guy’s. He entered the wards here in January 1914, and after doing the usual ward appointments, was appointed Out-Patient Officer and later House-Surgeon to Mr Dunn. On completing the latter appointment he entered the R.A.M.C., and as he was passed fit for garrison services abroad was being sent to Egypt where he met his death. No details have up to the present been heard, but it is thought that he was probably lost on the Arcadian.
Though never a prominent figure in athletics owing to an attack of rheumatic fever, Lt Brogden was one of the best known and most popular men at Guy’s. His invariable cheerfulness and good temper made him universally liked and respected by everyone who met him both in his earlier days as a student and later as House-Surgeon. In the latter capacity he showed that he possessed a very sound surgical judgement and considerable skill in surgical technique. Though often not in the best of health he stuck to his work, and it was only with the greatest difficulty that he could be persuaded to take a rest even when he most obviously needed it. In his long career here we doubt anyone has ever found to say a word against him, a record not attained by many who have passed three years at the Hospital.
He was the only son of an old Guy’s man and we wish to express our deepest sympathy.
Just before the outbreak of war she was operating on the South American run, and when hostilities began she was requisitioned and converted into a troopship. On 15 April 1917 she was sailing from Salonika to Alexandria carrying 1335 troops and crew when she was attacked by the German submarine UC74 in the southern Aegean, 41.5 kilometres North East from the island of Milo. The damage was so severe that she sank in 5 or 6 minutes, but fortunately a lifeboat drill had just been carried out, and most of the men were still on deck. 1058 persons were rescued. Of the 277 who did not survive, there were 19 Army officers, 214 Army other ranks, 10 naval ratings and 34 crew.
(RAMC) is part of the British Army providing medical services to all British Army personnel and their families in war and in peace. Together with the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, the Royal Army Dental Corps and Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps, the RAMC forms the British Army’s essential Army Medical Services. In combat the men followed the troops over the top into no man’s land suffering losses of 743 officers and 6130 soldiers killed, while delivering medical care to wounded exposed to enemy fire.