Born: 1885, St. Mary Elms, Ipswich.

Died on or since death presumed: 20th July 1917; age 31.

Residence: 6, Great Gipping Street, Ipswich.

Occupation: a Bricklayer’s Labourer.

Enlistment Location: Ipswich; Date: 3rd June 1909; age: 20 years; Religion: CofE. Height: 5ft 5 1/2ins, fresh complexion, hazel eyes & dark brown hair. Tattoos – Tomb Stone back of right hand, numerous tattoos on both arms. Bracelet – right wrist.

Date of Entry Therein: 15th January 1915 – France.


Joined at Pontefract – 4th June 1909 – 4th October 1909

Blackdown – 5th October 1909 – 18th November 1910

Karachi – 19th November 1910 – 29th November 1913

Jabbulpore – 30th November 1912 – 19th October 1914

Poona – 20th October 1914 – 15th November 1914

H.T. Alwick Castle – 16th November 1914

Home – November 1914 – 14th January 1915

France – 15th January 1915 – 23rd February 1915

Home – 24th February 1915 – 12th May 1915

France – 13th May 1915 – 4th October 1915

Home – 5th October 1915 – 3rd January 1916

France – 4th January 1916 – 22nd June 1916

Home 23rd June 1916 – 15th January 1917

France 15th January 1917 – 20th July 1917

Embarked – Folkstone – 15th January 1915

Disembarked – Calais – 15th January 1915.

Admitted to No. 5 General Hospital – Frostbite – in the field – 4th February 1915

Admitted to No. 4 General Hospital – Frostbite – Versailles – 6th February 1915

sent to England – embarked Havre 22nd February 1915 – S.S. ‘Asturias.’

22 days at Netley Hospital – 23rd February 1915 – 16th March 1915 – Frostbite to feet.

15 days at Stanswood Auxiliary Hospital – 16th March 1915 – 30th March 1915 – Frostbite to feet.

Returned to France – 13th May 1915

Joined 1st Battalion – 16th May 1915

Wounded in Action – Gun Shot Wound to left hand – 29th September 1915

Admitted to No. 9 Casualty Clearing Station – 29th September 1915

Admitted to No. 23 General Hospital – Gun Shot Wound to left hand – 3rd October 1915 – Etaples

To England – 4th October 1915

40 days – Edinburgh Hospital – shrapnel wound of finger – 5th October – 13th November 1915

Posted to 2nd Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment at Sunderland – 4th January 1916

Returned to France 4th January 1916

Admitted to No. 12 General Hospital – headache – Rouen – 20th January 1916

Admitted to No. 2 Depot – headache – Rouen – 27th January 1916

Admitted to No. 6 General Hospital – headache – Rouen – 29th January 1916

Rejoined fit – Rouen – 14th February 1916

Admitted to No. 12 General Hospital – scabies – Rouen – 25th February 1916

Rejoined fit – Rouen – 8th March 1916

Admitted to No. 12 General Hospital – Scabies – Rouen – 11th March 1916

Rejoined fit – Rouen – 23rd March 1916

Influenza – Rouen – 28th March 1916

Admitted to hospital – 26th April 1916

Admitted to No. 177. Ambulance – not yet diagnosed Pyrexia – 26th April 1916

Admitted to No. 167 Ambulance – not yet diagnosed Pyrexia – 27th April 1916

Rejoined 2nd Battalion – 8th May 1916

Admiited to Ambulance – Scabies – 15th June 1916

Admitted to Ambulance – Rheumatic Fever – 17th June 1916

Rheumatism  – Boulogne – 17th June 1916

Embarked for England from Boulogne – 22nd June 1916 – H.T. ‘Jan Breydel.’

58 days – Manchester Hospital – Rheumatism – pain in left shoulder and knees – improving but complains of weakness – 23rd June 1916 – 18th August 1916

Embarked Folkestone – 15th January 1917

Disembarked Calais – 15th January 1917

Joined 34 Infantry Base Depot – 17th January 1917 – Etaples

Joined 2nd Battalion – 20th January 1917

To Brigade Grenade School – 28th January 1917

Rejoined 2nd Battalion – 7th February 1917

To 16 Grenade School – 29th April 1917

Rejoined 2nd Battalion – 6th May 1917

Reported Missing 20th July 1917.



Blackdown – 1st June 1910 – 14 days detention – 1st June – 15th June.

I. Refusing to obey an order

II. Using threatening language to an N.C.O.

Blackdown – 23rd August 1910 – 10 days confined to barracks – 25th August – 2nd September.

I. Absent from Tattoo till apprehended by the Military Police at 10:15 p.m.

II. Drunk at Frimley Green about 10:15 p.m.

III. Violently resisting the Military Police.

Ipswich – 4th October 1910 – 10 days confined to barracks – 10th October – 21st October.

I. Improperly dressed in town.

II. Making an improper remark to an N.C.O.


Hyderabad – 11th September 1911 – 14 days detention – 12th September – 25th September.

I. Making an Improper remark to an N.C.O.

Hyderabad – 12th September 1911 – 84 days detention – 22nd September – 14th December.

I. Striking his superior officer.

Detention Barracks Quetta – 6th October 1911 – 1 day bread and water – 7th October – 7th October.

I. Laughing at another soldier.

Detention Barracks Quetta – 9th October 1911 – 2 days bread and water – 9th October – 10th October.

I. Talking whilst at labour.

Detention Barracks Quetta – 20th October 1911 – 2 days Bread and water – 21st October – 22nd October.

I. Having dirty boots on parade.

II. Making an improper reply to an N.C.O.

5 days detention remitted – 79 days.


Hyderabad – 23rd September 1912 – 10 days confined to barracks – 30th September – 9th October

I. Reporting sick without a cause.

II. Not complying with an order.

Karachi – 26th November 1912 – 8 days confined to barracks – 27th November – 4th December.

I. Irregular conduct (smoking on night operations).


Karachi – 11th February 1913 – Fined 2/6 and 10 days confined to barracks – 14th February 1913 – 23rd February 1913

I. Drunk returning to barracks about 9:55 p.m.

II. Using disgusting language to the Regimental Police.

Karachi – 25th February 1913 – Fined 10/. – Remanded for trial on another charge.

I. Drunk returning to barracks about 9:55 p.m.

Karachi – 28th February 1913 – 6 calendar months’ detention – 10th March – 9th September.

I. Striking his superior officer being in the execution of his office.

Detention Barracks Karachi – 31st March 1913 – 1 days bread and water – 1st April – 21st April.

I. Refusing to work.

Detention Barracks Karachi – 28th May 1913 – 2 days bread and water – 30th May – 31st May.

I. Hesitating to obey an order.

Detention Barracks Karachi – 8th July 1913 – 1 days bread and water – 8th July – 8th July.

I. Using obscene language.

30 days detention remitted.

Karachi – 12th August 1913 – fined 10/. – 15th August 1913.

I. Absent from Tattoo till apprehended by the Regimental Police at 10:45 p.m.

II. Drunk returning to barracks about 10: 45 p.m.

Karachi – 15th October 1913 – 168 hours detention – 20th October – 27th October.

I. Using obscene and threatening language to Pte. Smith when on Police duty in the Coffee Shop.

Jabbulpore – Christmas Day 1913 – fined 7/6 – 10 days confined to barracks – 29th December – 7th January.

I. Drunk in barracks about 9:10 p.m.

II. Violently resisting the arrest.


Jabbulpore – 14th February 1914 – 10 days confined to barracks – 14th February – 23rd February.

I. Striking a comrade.

Poona – 5th November 1914 – 8 days confined to barracks – 6th November – 13th November.

I. Absent from Tattoo to 8 a.m. on the 6th November.

Poona – 16th November 1914 – Fined 7/6 and 10 days confined to barracks  – 17th November – 26th November.

I. Improper remark to an N.C.O.

II. Drunk on the line of march.

At Sea – H.T. ‘Alwick Castle’ – 25th November 1914 – 14 days confined to barracks – 26th November – 3rd December.

I. Disrespect to an officer.


Ripon – 28th August 1916 – forfeited 3 days pay and confined to barracks 3 days.

I. Over staying his sick period to miss Tattoo for 3 days until 10:30 p.m. – on the 30th August.

Ripon – 17th September 1916 – forfeited 2 days pay and confined to barracks 7 days.

I. Absent from Tattoo for 2 days until 9:25 a.m. – 18th September.

Ripon – 7th October 1916 – forfeited 4 days pay and confined to barracks 8 days.

I. Absent from Tattoo for 4 days until 7:45 a.m. – 10th October.

Horton – 29th December 1916 – 3 days confined to barracks.

I. Absenting himself from Mass Parade until found in Dining Hall at 12:45 p.m.


Horton – 4th January 1917 – 7 days confined to barracks.

I. Absent off 5:15 p.m. parade.

II. Absent off 7 a.m. parade.

III. Using obscene language.

In The Field – 2nd April 1917 – 21 days field punishment no. 1.

I. Drunk in town about 3:30 p.m.

II. Using obscene language to an N.C.O.


Rank: Private; Service Number: 9545

Regiment: York and Lancaster Regiment, 2nd Battalion.


Medals Awarded: Victory, British War & 1915 Star.


Memorial Reference:

Panel 105 & 106.

Loos memorial,

Pas de Calais,



Relatives Notified & Address: Brother of Mr. Jacob G. Crawford, of 4, Lawrence Court, Currier’s Lane, Ipswich.



1891   7, Queen Street, Ipswich.

Ephraim was 5 years old and living with his parents & siblings.

George Crawford, 36, a General Labourer, born Ipswich.

Mary Ann Crawford (nee Ling), 35, born Ipswich.

Jessie Crawford, 12, born Ipswich.

Alice Crawford, 11, born Ipswich – died October 1895, Ipswich.

George Henry Crawford, 9, born Ipswich.

Jacob George Crawford, 3, born Ipswich.

Walter Crawford, 2, born Ipswich.


1901   27, Tanner’s Lane, Ipswich.

Ephraim was 15 years old and living with his widowed father & siblings.

George, 49, a Maltster.

Jessie, 22.

George, 19.

Jacob, 13.

Walter, 11.

Mary Ann Elizabeth Crawford, 9, born Ipswich.


1911   Napier Barracks, Karachi, India.

Ephraim was 22 years old, a Soldier ranked Private for the York and Lancaster Regiment, 1st Battalion.


Ephraim’s mother, Mary Ann Crawford died 1897, Ipswich.


On the 29th November 1901, Ephraim’s father, George Crawford, a labourer, of Tanner’s Lane was charged in court 2s. 6d. for not allowing his children to attend school regularly.


Ephraim’s father, George Crawford died 1907, Ipswich.


On the 28th May 1920, Ephraim’s sister, Mrs. Jessie Lees signed for receiving the 1915 Star on behalf of sister Miss Mary Crawford.


Soldiers’ Effects to Mary Crawford – sister.


Ephraim is also remembered on the war memorial at St. Peter’s Church, Ipswich.

IMG_4741 (2)

Court appearances and convictions


Ephraim was described as 5ft 5 1/2ins in height, fresh complexion, dark brown hair and green eyes. He was tattooed with a heart, cross anchors, heart and arrow on right arm, pierced heart “LOVE,” snake, tree, cross flags on left forearm; bracelet on right wrist; Victoria Cross on left hand.

Ephraim told the court he was born in 1888.

Evening Star – Another Batch of Young Thieves – At the Ipswich Borough Petty Sessions, on the 13th March 1902, Ephraim Crawford, 15, of Tanner’s Lane; Bertram Horlock, 15, of Payne’s Court, Tanner’s Lane, and James Stannard, 10, of Gipping Street, were before R.M. Miller, Esq. (in the chair), Colonel J.H. Josselyn, S.R. Anness, Esq., and W.O. White, Esq., charged with stealing 2s. 6d., or thereabouts. On Friday, February 21st Jane Freston, who assists in Mr. Boddey’s fruit shop, at 87, Princes Street, found money had been taken from the till during the time she was having her dinner. The three boys were seen outside the shop by Mary Leggett, a day girl, and she latter saw James Stannard enter the shop and run out. Bertram Horlock’s mother, in evidence, said she questioned her boy when he was with Ehpraim, and told him to tell the truth about the matter. he then said that they had been out bill distributing, and James had stolen 11d. out of the till, giving him 3d. and Ephraim 2d. James pleaded guilty to the theft, and Bertram and Ephraim admitted having a share of the money. Mr. Butcher, the school attendance officer, said Ephraim had done no work since he left school; James had given a great deal of trouble to the School Authorities. Detective-constable Firman said the three boys were pupils of the lad Cocker, whom the Bench sent away a short time back. Ephraim and Bertram were sent to gaol for a month, the Chairman explaining that they would go to Bedford Reformatory School for that period; James was sent to a reformatory for five years.

Evening Star – A Haul of Chocolates – At the Ipswich Police Court, on the 4th February 1904 Ephraim Crawford, 16, of Tanner’s Lane, Noah Backhouse, 16, of Castle Court, Castle Street, Bertram Horlock, 16, of Dyke Street, and Thomas Alcock, 17, of Court A, Mount Street, all labourers, were before the Mayor (F. Bennett, Esq.), Col. J.H. Josselyn, S.R. Anness, Esq., W.O. White, Esq., and W.A. Churchman, Esq., charged with stealing eight boxes of chocolates, value 3s. 10d., the property of Mrs. Ford, 38, St. Matthew’s Street. Last Monday week Mrs. Ford was sitting in her room at the back of the shop when she thought she heard a little scuffle in the shop. She jumped up, rushed into the shop, and found that a glass shelf had been cleared of boxes of chocolate. Five sixpenny, a shilling, and two threepenny boxes had gone. A lad informed her that some boys had run up Berners Street, and she spotted them in the street with some boxes under their arms. She ran after them through Bedford Street, but lost them in George Street. On the following Thursday one lad went into the shop and begged Mrs. Ford’s pardon, saying Sergeant Warner sent him to do so, and to ask her what she would take. She replied that the matter was in the hands of the Police. Percy Warner, a lad living in School Street said he saw Ephraim and the other lads waiting outside Mrs. Ford’s shop; when a lad came out of the shop with some boxes under his arm, they walked up Berners Street, and he acquainted Mrs. Ford of what had happened. Sergeant Warner saw Thomas Alcock on the Wednesday and he said he did not go in the shop: Noah and Bertram went in, and he and Ephraim stayed outside. The other three boys were in the locality when this conversation took place, and the Sergeant interrogated them. All affirmed that only two boxes were taken, with twelve chocolates in each. Defendants pleaded guilty to either taking or participating in the proceeds of two boxes. Sergeant Warner had nothing particular to say against the lads. Mr. Hudson Pope, Warden of the Working Boys’ Home, said he believed Noah had not been convicted before, and if the Bench could see their way to deal with him under the First Offenders Act he would endeavor to get him work. Noah was accordingly discharged on payment of 5s. costs; Ephraim, Thomas and Bertram were sent to gaol for a month’s hard labour.

At Ipswich Borough Petty Sessions, on the 2nd June 1904, Ephraim received 3 months’ hard labour for stealing sweets.

Evening Star – At the Needham Market Petty Sessions, on the 23rd May 1906, Ephraim Crawford, a labourer, of Ipswich; Thomas Smith, a labourer, of Ipswich, and Arthur Edward Paskall, a Labourer, of Ipswich, appeared before S.T. Harwood, Esq. (chairman), General H.P. Phillips, G. Fiske, Esq., and Colonel Downing, charged with trespassing in search of game on land occupied by John Runnacles, at Whitton. The latter and his brother saw the defendants and another who got away diligently searching the grass and hedges. The gamekeeper, Ernest Harvey, was obliged to take Ephraim’s stick from him, as he used it in a threatening manner. The Bench considered there was not sufficient evidence to convict under the section under which the proceedings were taken.

Evening StarSunday Morning Pastime – At the Ipswich Police Court, on the 16th July 1906, Ephraim Crawford, James Soar, and Arthur Edward Paskall, labourers of no fixed abode, all pleaded not guilty when they were charged before the Mayor (B.H. Burton, Esq.), R.D. Fraser, Esq., G.F. Josselyn, Esq., and A. Sizer, with maliciously breaking insulators on telegraph poles. Mr. Alfred Cook prosecuted on behalf of the Postmaster-General. Two girls, named Flora Jasper and Alice Baldry, spoke to accompanying Ephraim, James and Arthur along the towing-path of the Gipping early on Sunday morning, June 24th. Defendants started throwing stones at bottles and tins, and afterwards gave their attention to the telegraph poles. Answering the Mayor, the girls said that the defendants aimed at the tops of the poles, but never broke anything. Sergeant Spendley said James Soar told him he didn’t know how many insulators they broke, and asked if the “job” meant a month. Arthur Paskall said if he was to be summoned he was off, and Ephraim hinted that the police would find it very difficult to find him. Defendants all told the Bench that they did not try to break the insulators, but the Mayor “floored” them when he asked what they aimed at. Ephraim, James and Arthur were sent to gaol for a months’ hard labour.

Evening Star – Young Hooligans – At the Ipswich Police Court, on the 22nd November 1906, Ephraim Crawford, of Frost’s Court, Tanner’s Lane, William Dixey, Mount Street, and Alfred Hummerstone, Great Gipping Street, all young labourers, were before the Mayor (W.O. White, Esq.), R.D. Fraser, Esq., F. Bennett, Esq., W.A. Churchman, Esq., and G.T. Moss, Esq., charged with disturbing the peace by behaving in a noisy and disorderly manner in Tanner’s Lane on Sunday afternoon. Police-constable Parker and Sergeant Nunn said the defendants were with a number of other lads shouting and dancing. When they approached towards them they ran towards Princess Street, where they continued their disorderly conduct. There was a “sheet” against all the defendants, who were bound over in 40s. to keep the peace for six months, and ordered to pay the costs, 3s. each.

Evening Star – Story of Stolen Chickens at Ipswich – At the Ipswich Borough Petty Sessions, on the 8th August 1907, Ephraim Crawford, a labourer, of Frost’s Court, Tanner’s Lane, was before the Mayor (W. Orford White, Esq.), W. Alexander, G. Hines, A. Sizer, and W.A. Churchman, Esqrs., charged with stealing two chickens, value 2s., the property of William Butcher, pork-butcher, Princes Street. Mr. Butcher hires a meadow on Portman Road, where he keeps cattle and fowls. He fed the latter on Friday, July 26th, when they were all right, but next morning he missed two chickens, and gave information to the police. Detective Firman produced the chickens, quite little ones, which he had brought to the Court in a box. Ernest Skerry, dealer, of 10, Gipping Street, said that on the evening of the Friday in question, Ephraim, who was accompanied by two other men, came to his house, and asked him to buy two chickens (those produced). In answer to several questions, Ephraim said he came honestly by the chickens, and witness gave him 4d. for them. Detective-Inspector Warner deposed to having found the chickens on the August 3rd in a yard in Gipping Street. The defendant was there, and, in answer to questions, Ephraim said he was “not alone in it”- there were two others. When the police proceeded to arrest him later, he tried to “bolt,” but was grabbed by a Sergeant. Ephraim said that another chap named Teager, with whom he was walking, saw the two chickens running about the road; he picked them up and put them in his pockets, and they went together to sell them to Skerry, going shares with the fourpence. The Chief Constable (Captain Schrieber) said that the man Teager was now under detention at Cambridge, charged with stealing a bicycle . The prosecutor said that someone went into the meadow, if defendant didn’t. Inspector Warner said that Ephraim did not work; he was one of a gang whose only occupation was to stand at the street corners. The Mayor (W. Orford White, Esq.) said that Ephraim was under bond to be of good behaviour and would have to go to gaol for six weeks’ with hard labour.

At Ipswich Borough Petty Sessions, on the 14th October 1907, Ephraim received 2 months’ hard labour for stealing 4d.

Evening Star – Cheese and a Charge – At the Ipswich Police Court, on the 19th December 1907, Ephraim Crawford, Tanner’s Lane, George Wade, Lady Lane, and Noah Backhouse, Albion Street, young labourers, who are each 19 years of age, appeared before the Mayor (H.W. Raffe, Esq.), H.M. Jackaman, J.H. Grimwade, R.D. Fraser, W. Alexander, S.R. Anness, and C.E. Tempest, Esqrs., charged with stealing 1 1/2lbs of cheese, the property of William Thomas Sage, trading as Sage Bros., at No. 1, St. Matthew’s Street. The evidence showed that Edgar Mann, an assistant in the employ of Mr. Sage, went out about seven o’clock in the evening with a cart containing parcels. He called at a shop on the Mount, and left the cart outside. When he came out someone made a statement, in consequence of which he went across to a group of men to see if he could find a parcel of cheese that had been taken from the cart. Afterwards he reported his lose to the police. Detective-Inspector Warner said that, as the result of inquiries, he went to Ephraim’s house, and in the food cupboard found the piece of cheese produced, which Mr. Sage identified. later in the evening he saw Ephraim and George, and told them that there had been a piece of cheese stolen from a cart, and that he had found it at Ephraim’s house. George confessed that he took it, and gave it to Ephraim. Witness said there was still a piece missing, and George said Noah Backhouse had that. When Noah was seen, he said, “I did not steal it; I was there when they got it, and George gave me a piece – I would not have it, and I threw it over Saxton’s gates.” All three were subsequently charged, and made various statements. In answer to the charge now Ephraim said, “I ain’t had no work, and that’s the reason I done it”; George said, “I was out of work at the same time, that’s why I done it”; and Noah said he had nothing to do with the business. The others forced a piece of cheese on him, but he would not have it. He had regular work to go to after Christmas time, and if the Magistrates dealt leniently with him he would have no more to do with the “Mount” lot.” The defendant’s were all committed for trail at the next Quarter Sessions, bail being offered – each defendant to be bound himself in £10, and to find two sureties of £10.

The January Quarter Sessions for the Borough of Ipswich were held at the Town Hall, Thursday, 2nd January 1908, before the Recorder, Frederick Low, Esq., K.C., with whom on the Bench were the Mayor (H.W. Raffe, Esq.), George Josselyn, Esq., and the Chief Constable (Captain A.T. Schreiber). Ephraim Crawford and George Wade, both 19 pleaded guilty, 18 year old, Noah Backhouse pleaded not guilty and was defended by Mr. Bugge. Mr. W. Rowley Elliston prosecuted and narrated the facts of the theft of the 1 1/2lbs of cheese, the property of William Thomas Sage, that took place on Monday, the 16th December. Noah was found not guilty and allowed to go. The Recorder told Noah that he must be very careful of his conduct in the future, and if he came to court again he would be severely dealt with. Both Ephraim and George proved guilty to previous convictions, Detective-Inspector Warner gave both lads bad characters, and the Recorder sent them to prison for twelve months under the Borstal system. Date of Liberation – 31st December 1908.

York and Lancaster Regiment, 2nd Battalion


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top