Born: 1922, Brentford, Oxfordshire.

Died: 7th February 1945; age: 22; on air operation over Norway. On his 32nd Operational flight.


Rank: Flying Officer; Service Number: 152702.

Regiment: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, 521 Squadron, 521 Meteorological Squadron.

Aircraft: Lockheed Hudson 


Memorial Reference:

Panel 267.

Runnymede Memorial,

Englefield Green,



Relatives Notified & Address: Son of Captain Arthur James Sheaft Hinton, M.B.E., and Jane Anne Hinton, of Ipswich.


Father: Arthur James Sheaft Hinton, M.B.E., born June 1887, Hope Cottage, Bath Road, Bedminster, Somerset.

Mother: Jane Ann Hinton (nee Bushby), born November 1891, Hillmorton, Warwickshire.


Warrant Officer Class I, Sergeant-Major Artillery Clerk, Arthur James Sheaft Hinton, was awarded the Member of the Order of the British Empire (M.B.E.) in the 2nd June 1931, King George V – Birthday Honours List.


7th February 1945


Aircraft: Lockheed Hudson; Serial Number: FK740. Took-off from R.A.F Langham, Norfolk,

at 04:15hrs, on a “RHOMBUS” long range weather reconnaissance mission. The mission was planned to involve a flight of 300 nautical miles to a position off the southern tip of Norway. At that point the aircraft would make a spiral climb to about 18,000 ft and send back a report of the weather conditions encountered on the flight and during the climb. Once this report had been made the aircraft would continue to R.A.F. Wick in North East Scotland taking further weather observations en-route. the aircraft would then remain at Wick until the following morning when the same route would be flown in reverse back to Langham. The weather at Langham when the Hudson took-off was not bad but it was known that much worse conditions lay along its planned route. In particular two warm fronts, one of which would be in the area where the climb was to be made, lay across the route. Cloud base was expected to be between 400 and 800 ft with winds up to 40 knots, poor visibility and moderate icing above 8000 ft. At 06:12hrs, when the aircraft should have been performing its climb, a brief SOS message was picked up by radio stations at Inverness and Kirkwall. This was the last that was heard of the Hudson. A search operation was launched involving Warwick aircraft from Beccles, Wick and Fraserburgh and in spite of the poor weather one of the search aircraft did briefly spot a dingy in the area where the Hudson was thought to have come down. Unfortunately the sighting was brief and the dingy could not be relocated. In reality this sighting was many hours after the Hudson had come down and in the prevailing weather conditions there would have been no realistic chance of any survivors still being alive. None of the crew were ever found and all are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.


Robert James Turnbull McDermott; Flight Officer/Wireless Operator/Air Gunner; age 23; R.A.A.F.

Joseph Patrick Holian; Flight Sergeant/Wireless Operator/Air Gunner; age: 28; R.A.A.F.

Peter John Huntley; Flight Lieutenant/2nd Pilot; R.A.F.V.R.

Arthur Robert Gray; Flight Sergeant/Navigator; R.A.F.V.R.

Kenneth Trevitt; Sergeant/Meteorology Observer; age 20; R.A.F.V.R.


Aircraft research courtesy of John Allan.

Kenneth & brother Robert Trevitt (late 1920’s)

courtesy of Clive and Jackie Craymer NZ


One Comment

  • I am pleased and amazed at the detail you have available, i am no relation to WO1{SMAC} Hinton it is just that like him I was an Artillery Clerk but only a WO2{QMS{AC}}.

    It was very interesting reading about his last flight and there is a feeling of grief about what unfortunately happened to him and the crew.

    Thank you.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top