Born: 1878, St. Margaret’s, Ipswich.

Died: 23rd March 1915; age: 37; at No. 12 General Hospital, Rouen.

March had been a quite month for the 2nd Battalion, yet had sustained 140 casualties from a period of trench warfare and attrition, with no major offensives or attacks. Yet the 2nd Battalion were in constant readiness for going over the top in the area of Vierstraat. Sniping and fortifying of positions was taking its toll, on the 23rd March Lieutenant F. T. Schroder was killed by a rifle grenade and a number of casualties were taken away for treatment.

Enlistment Location: Ipswich.

Date of Entry Therein: 15th September 1914.


Rank: Private; Service Number: 3/9178

Regiment: Suffolk Regiment, 2nd Battalion.


Medals Awarded: Victory, British War & 1914 Star.


Grave Reference:


St, Sever Cemetery,








1881   64, Old Foundry Road, Ipswich.

Christopher was 3 years old and living with his parents & siblings.

Henry Chandler, 29, a Foundry Labourer, born St. Margaret’s, Ipswich.

Susannah Chandler (nee Wright), 30, born Nayland, Suffolk.

Susannah Chandler, 9, born Ipswich.

Mary Jane Chandler, 8, born St. Mary at the Quay, Ipswich.

Henry James Chandler, 6, born St. Margaret’s, Ipswich.

Arthur John Chandler, 4, born St. Margaret’s, Ipswich.

Ernest Herbert Chandler, 2, born St. Margaret’s, Ipswich.

Amos George Chandler, 1, born St. Margaret’s, Ipswich.


1891   25, Upper Orwell Street, Ipswich next to St. Michael’s Church.

Christopher was 13 years old and living with his parents & siblings.

Henry, 40, a Night Soilman.

Susannah, 41.

Mary, 18, a Stay Worker.

Harry, 16, a Foundry Labourer.

Arthur, 14, a Labourer – Sanitary Authority.

Ernest, 11.

Amos, 9.

Oliver Thomas Chandler, 8, born St. Clement’s, Ipswich.

Beatrice Maud Chandler, 6, born St. Clement’s, Ipswich.

Frank William Chandler, 3, born St. Clement’s, Ipswich.

Harold Stanley Chandler, 1, born St. Margaret’s, Ipswich.


1901   29, New Street, Ipswich.

Christopher was 23 years old, a Cattle Drover. He was 1 of 25 boarders at the boarding house.


1911   39, Rope Walk, Ipswich.

Christopher was 33 years old, a Drover – Ipswich Cattle Market. He was living with his parents & brother.

Henry, 60, a Labourer – Ipswich Sanitary Authority.

Susan, 60.

Oliver, 29, a Jobbing Gardener.

4 boarders

1 visitor.


Soldiers’ Effects to Henry Chandler – father.

Christopher is also remembered on the war memorial at St. Nicholas Church, Ipswich.



On the 9th October 1893, at Ipswich Police Court, 16 year old, Christopher was a witness in a trail of a very serious assault on the police. William Crickmore, of Rope Walk – pleaded guilty, William Phillips, of a lodging house at Permit Office Street – pleaded guilty and John Scopes, of Cavendish Street – pleaded not guilty before the Mayor (R.D. Fraser, Esq), Dr. W.P. Mills, J. May, J.H. Josselyn, R.M. Miller, and G. Hines, Esqs. The defendants formed part of a disorderly crowd which made a savage attack on Police Constable Nears, in Upper Orwell Street, when at ten minutes past eleven o’clock at night, he had just taken a man named Ranson into custody and was endeavouring to get him to the station. The crowd rushed and hustled P.C. Nears across the street causing him and Ranson to fall into a pork butcher’s shop. Affairs got so desperate that P.C. Nears drew his truncheon. He heard Scopes shouting in the crowd but in the tumult could not remember whether Scopes struck him first or not. Joseph Scoggins, a second-hand clothes dealer; 14 year old Florence Norman and Christopher gave evidence in support of the charge, and testified that Scopes struck P.C. Nears first using a buckle-strap. The Court reporter wrote that Christopher was a very funny but good witness. When asked whether Scopes was present in Court, Christopher peered all round into the remotest corners of the room before looking into the dock, where Scopes stood! The Bench convicted all three defendants.


Christopher was described as 5ft 5ins in height, fresh complexion, brown hair and green/blue eyes. He had a scar at the corner of his right eye, and was tattooed with a rose, a shamrock, a thistle and clasped hands on his left forearm.

At Ipswich, on the 1st August 1896, before the Mayor (Mr. G.F. Josselyn), and Mr. S.R. Anness, appeared Christopher and his brother Ernest Chandler, of Upper Orwell Street; Charles Siggers, of Cox Lane; John Take, of St. Margaret’s Street; Christopher Burgess, of Bond Street; and John Turner, of Cox Lane, they were charged with throwing stones on the Tuddenham Road, on July 27th. This was a frequent occurrence. The case against Ernest Chandler was dismissed; the other defendants were fined 2s. 6d. each.

At the Samford Petty Sessions, on the 10th October 1896, Christopher, of the Eagle Tavern, Upper Orwell Street; Charles Siggers, of 6, Permit Office Street; and George Smith, of 11, Upper Orwell Courts, all labourers of Ipswich appeared before Mr. C.H. Berners (in the chair), Mr. A.M. Bernard, Rev. J.H. Hocking, Capt. A.H. Morse, Mr. T.S. Furniss, and Mr. E.P. Youell. They were summoned for destroying half a peck of potatoes, of the value of 4d., the property of William Pepper, a farmer, at Wherstead, on the 18th ult. Walter Pepper son of the complainant, said that on the day in question he was coming home from work when he saw the three defendants in a field near the farm house. As he noticed they were digging up the ground, he jumped over the hedge, and as they ran away he ran after them. When he overtook them he found they all had potatoes in their pockets, and other roots were damaged where the defendants had dug about.

Christopher had taken most of the potatoes as he had no parents, and pleaded guilty, but Charles and George had one or two in their pockets and pleaded not guilty. Charles and George in their defence, stated that they were on the ground, but did not take away any potatoes. Christopher was fined 2s. 6d., and 4d. damages, or ten days’ imprisonment, whilst Charles was sent to gaol for a week, and George for a fortnight.

On the 15th April 1897, Christopher was found guilty at Ipswich Borough Petty Sessions, for stealing growing onions and broccoli. He was convicted to 14 days’ hard labour.

At the Samford Petty Sessions, 15th February 1898, Christopher, a labourer, of 32, New Street, Ipswich, and William Lockwood, a labourer, of Hope Court, Fore Hamlet, appeared before Captain A.H. Morse (Chairman), and other Magistrates, charged, and on remand, with stealing five fowls, value 10s., at Bentley. William Bilner, bailiff to the Hon. S. Tollemache, said he looked after the Lodge Farm. He counted the fowls a fortnight ago, and again on the 11th, in the company of James Burrows, gamekeeper, and in charge of the fowl department of the Lodge Farm, and found that eight had disappeared. Witness could identify two of the five fowls produced in Court. Police-Sergeant Warner said that about 8:30 on Wednesday night he was standing on Stoke Bridge, and saw William Lockwood pass over; carrying two fowls in a wrapper, which was slung over his shoulder. P.-Sgt. Warner stopped him, and took the fowls from him. Later in the same evening he saw Christopher in Stoke Street, and noticing that he had got something in his pockets, accosted him, and asked him what they contained; Christopher replied that he had only a few fowls. he was taken to the Police Station, and three fowls were found concealed in his coat. The bodies were quite warm and some of them had their necks broken. At 11 o’clock the following morning James Burrows opened the door of the fowl-house in the presence of Supt. Fisher and P.c. Rivers. There was a heap of feathers sprinkled with blood, corresponding with the feathers of the fowls stolen. In answer to the charged, both Christopher and William pleaded guilty, and elected to be dealt with summarily. P.-Sgt. Warner, re-called, gave the lads a bad character, and said they were drifting from bad to worse. The Bench sentenced them to six weeks’ hard labour.

At the Suffolk Police Courts, at Ipswich, on the 14th November 1898, Christopher, a labourer, of no fixed abode, appeared before the Mayor (Mr. E.P. Ridley), Mr. John May, Mr. R.M. Miller, Mr. G.F. Josselyn, Mr. G. Hines, Mr. R.D. Fraser, and Mr. W.O. White, charged with stealing a pair of tugs and reins, value 5s. William Wallace Boyles, a groom in the employ of Messrs. Eastmans, butchers, kept the articles in the harness-room, from which he missed them. William Boyles had occasionally employed defendant to do odd jobs for him on the premises. The articles were offered for sale by Christopher to William Page, a general dealer, of 5, Tanner’s Lane, who gave eight pence for them. Christopher told William Page that he had purchased the articles at a sale the previous day. Christopher pleaded guilty. There was record against him, and he was sent to six weeks’ hard labour.


At the Suffolk Assizes, on the 31st October 1899, Christopher and Richard McGovern, were before the Honourable Sir Alfred Wills, Judge, charged with stealing a brass tap and pieces of lead piping from outbuilding at the Roundwood, Ipswich, the property of General McNair, on the 23rd October 1899. The premises were broken into, and the articles stolen. The prisoners, who were rag gatherers, were met on the Woodbridge Road by Sergeant Nears, who, on searching their bags, found the missing property. Chrsitopher had been previously convicted, and was sentenced to nine months’ hard labourer; Richard McGovern was sentenced to two months’, in the second division.Christopher was further charged with breaking and entering the curtilage of a dwelling house, and stealing therein a quantity of perforated zinc and a hand saw, the property of Mr. E.V. McNair, at Ipswich. Committed by Magistrate A. Wrinch, Esq., Ipswich. Richard’s date of Liberation – 23rd July 1900.

At the Needham Market Petty Sessions, 20th November 1901, Christopher, a drover, and William White, a striker, both of Ipswich, were charged with game trespass at Bramford. William did not appear, just Christopher appeared before S.A. Maw, Esq. (chairman), and George Fiske, Esq. James Sutherwood, gamekeeper, said that on November 10th about 11 o’clock, he saw the defendants hunting a fence belonging to Mr. George Fiske with two dogs. Witness accosted, and detained them till the arrival of a police-constable. the dogs did ran after one rabbit, but did not succeed in getting it. In answer to Christopher, witness said they were 60 yards from the footpath. Christopher said he went off the path to call back his dog, which did not come, but chased a rabbit. Christopher was fined 10s. and 9s. 3d costs, and William White 10s. and 10s. 3d costs.

At the Ipswich Police Court, 8th December 1904, Christopher, a drover, of Gipping Street, appeared before the Mayor (J.H. Grimwade, Esq.), J. May, S.R. Anness, W.O. White, W. Alexander, and George Hines, Esqrs, charged with breaking and entering a slaughter-house, and stealing meat, value 25s., the property of Mr. Arthur Beard. A young man named Arthur Edward Lay, assistant to the prosecutor, said that on Wednesday afternoon he helped kill three bullocks and seven sheep at the slaughter-house in Chancery Lane, Princes Street. At a quarter to six o’clock he locked the place up and left. About nine he went round again, and found that the lock of the door was gone, and that someone had been inside. Witness Lay inspected the meat, and missed two ox hearts, kidneys, four throat pieces, two sheeps’ livers, and other portions of meat, together with his own knife. In consequence of this break-in, Detective-sergeant Warner was watching the slaughter-house at half-past seven o’clock when he saw Christopher go into Russell Road, carrying something on his shoulder. Christopher ran away, but Warner overtook him in Portman Road, and found meat tied up in a bag. At the Police Station, Christopher said, “My child is ill, and I went to see if I could get something for it.” There was enough meat (produced in Court) to feed about 50 children. Christopher addressing the Bench, said he knew his child could not eat the meat, but he wanted to get a little money with which to buy some medicine for a child who was suffering from bronchitis. He had got no work “if you ask people to give you anything,” he added “they won’t; if you steal anything, it is the other way about.” Christopher was committed for trial, and the Bench offered him bail if he could obtain two sureties in £10 each.

The trail at the Ipswich Borough quarter sessions, was held on the 6th January 1905, 28 year old, Christopher, a drover, pleaded guilty to the charge of having broken into the warehouse of Mr. Arthur Beard, butcher, of Ipswich, on the 7th December and stolen therefrom two bullocks’ heads and divers other pieces of meat. Mr. H. Claughton-Scott (instructed by Messrs. leighton and Aldous) held the brief for the prosecution. Christopher also pleaded guilty to previous convictions, the last being in 1899. Dec.-Sergt. Warner, called by the Recorder, said that since prisoner came out of gaol nearly five years ago he had worked for Messrs. Bond and Sons once a week, on market days. He attended sales at other times, and picked up odd jobs. No complaints about him had been made to the police. Mr. Connell (from the office of Messrs. Robert Bond and Sons) said that the prisoner had borne a good character, so far as they had been able to judge of it. Mr. Claughton-Scott: The prisoner pleaded that he had a child ill at the time of the robbery, and it is fair to him to say that such was the fact. The Recorder said he was satisfied it was true that prisoner had a child ill at the time, and that he was in great want, having found only casual employment for a long time. He had written a letter, saying that he did not get too much drink, nor do anything of that kind. As Christopher seemed also to have been trying to get an honest living of late, the Recorder was disposed to take as lenient a view as possible, although the offence to which he had pleaded guilty was of too serious character to be overlooked. The sentence was two months’ imprisonment, with hard labour. Date of Liberation – 4th March 1905.

At the Ipswich Police Court, on the 10th August 1905, Christopher, a labourer, of no fixed abode, was before the Mayor (J.H. Grimwade. Esq.), W. Alexander, Esq., S.R. Anness, Esq., G. Calver Mason, Esq., and W.O. White, Esq., charged with having stolen seven fowls, value 10s., the property of Mr. Thomas Rudland, of Crane Hill Farm. Sergeant Spendley said that at ten minutes past four o’clock on the morning of Sunday he saw Christopher by the side of the towing-path, at the back of the Handford Cottage. He asked him what he had got in a parcel that he had, and he said. “A bit of something to eat.” Spendley opened the parcel, and found it contained a fowl, with the feathers, head and feet off. Spendley searched Christopher’s coat, which was across his knees, and found five more fowls, with the heads and feet cut off and the crops cut out. The fowls were quite warm, and prisoners hands were covered with blood. On searching Christopher at the Police Station, Spendley found a leg of a fowl in each of his trousers’ pockets. Christopher said he had found the fowls. On being charged with stealing the fowls, Christopher said, “Stealing! Ah! Stealing.” Isaac Fosker, farm steward to Mr. Rudland, living at Crane Hill Farm, said that the fowls roosted in the trees of the plantation close to the house. He missed seven fowls on Sunday last. He and Police-constable Folkard went together to search the plantation, they the wings, feet etc., of several fowls, which he believed by the feathers found to be the property of Mr. Rudland. there was also the carcass of a stock bird with the legs cut off. Christopher had nothing to say, was committed for trial at the Quarter Sessions.

The trial was held on the 19th October 1905 at the Ipswich Borough Quarter Sessions, were held at the Town Hal, before the Recorder (Mr. T.C. Blofeld, Esq.). Christopher, 28, a labourer, was indicted with having stolen seven fowls, the property of Thomas Rudland, farmer, of Crane Hill Farm, on August 6th. He pleaded guilty. Mr. Claughton-Scott, who prosecuted, said that prisoner had been previously convicted at the Quarter Sessions last January, and called Sergeant Warner, who had said that at the previous trial he gave Christopher a good character, and he was sent to prison for two months. Since then he had done no regular work, and was going to the bad fast. It was a fact that Mr. Bond, who had formerly employed him, refused to employ him after he came out of prison, and prisoner had asked witness to find him work, and witness had not been able to do so. Christopher handed in a statement, which the Recorder read and commented on. First he asked Sergeant Warner if it was true that the prisoner had a wife. Sergt. Warner said it was not true. The Recorder asked Christopher what he meant by referring to his wife. Christopher said it was a woman he lived with, and she sold his home up while he was in custody. The Recorder said that the statement of the prisoner was to the effect that after he came out of prison last time he went on the tramp in search of work, but could not find it. he was a teetotaler. He admitted he was the black sheep of his family, all the others being respectable. The prisoner alleged that he only took the fowls for cooking, but that did not make it better. As Christopher had been convicted over and over again, and that the last time he had promised to mend his ways, but had not done so, the sentence must be six months’ imprisonment, with hard labour. Date of Liberation – 18th April 1906.

At the Autumn Assizes for Suffolk, on the 1st November 1913, at the Shire Hall, Bury St. Edmunds, before Mr. Justice Bray, having been committed by the Magistrate Mr. E.C. Ransome, Esq., Mayor, Christopher, 34, a drover, was indicted for having stolen £1, belonging to Edward Taylor, at Ipswich, on the 16th October 1913. Mr. Gerard Dodson (instructed by Messrs. Pretty, Joseph and Steward) appeared for the prosecution. Also having been entrusted by Edward Taylor with the sum of £1 for a certain purpose, unlawfully and fraudulently converting the same to his own use and benefit. Christopher was acquitted and discharged. 



Suffolk Regiment, 2nd Battalion:

Suffolk Regiment Battalion movements


Friends of The Suffolk Regiment


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top