Ipswich Stories

 ipswich-war-memorial

Post cards showing floral tributes soon after the unveiling.

IMPRESSIVE MEMORIAL UNVEILING CEREMONY AT IPSWICH.

Ipswich Chronicle unveiling on 6th May 1924

img_7740

A solemn and impressive ceremony marked for unveiling on Saturday by distinguished representatives of the Navy and the Army of the war memorial at Christchurch Park, Ipswich and several  moving incidents marked the occasion of the ceremony, when hundreds of relatives filed past the base of the cenotaph and deposited floral tributes to their dead.

img_7735

General regret was expressed that the illness of Lord Derby prevented him from fulfilling his engagement to perform the formal unveiling and there was further disappointment when it became known that the sudden indisposition of the Mayor of the Borough (Dr. J. Staddon) made it impossible for the civic head to attend. Despite the eleventh-hour alterations to the programme, however, the proceedings were carried through with smoothness, grace and dignity, in the presence of a vast concourse of townspeople.

img_7742

 

Although the memorial has previously been described in the East Anglian Daily Times, it should briefly be stated the cenotaph and the panels containing the names of the fallen constitute only one phase of the tribute which Ipswich is paying to its sons who fell in the war. What must be considered as the practical part of the Borough War Memorial is the new wing to the East Suffolk and Ipswich Hospital, which combined with the East Suffolk war memorial, provides a valuable and much needed addition to that worthy institution. Work is steadily proceeding in connection with the Hospital scheme, and it is hoped that the memorial wing will be formally opened in the early Autumn. While, for purely financial reasons, the new buildings are hardly on the scale which was originally visualised by the Secretary to the Hospital (Mr. Arthur Griffiths). The amended plans nevertheless retain the essentials of the original scheme, and the extension will, in every sense, be a worthy commemoration of the valour and self sacrifice of the men of Ipswich during the war.

other-memorials                img_7736

The Christchurch Park Memorial takes the rear of a cenotaph backed by a screen wall, bearing bronze panels, on which are cast in block projecting letters the 1,481 names of the fallen, together with their units and branches of the Forces in which they served. The decoration of the screen is in a laurel wreath design, and in the centre of the wall is a symbolical bronze casting of a Greek lamp. The cenotaph is, in a sense, separated from the area devoted to the tablets, for these may be approached  from separate flights of stone steps. The plinth of the cenotaph, which is inscribed to “Our Glorious Dead” is approached by five steps, and the observed can not but be impressed by the fine conception of the bronze trophy of arms in the foreground, the symbolising the accoutrements of the war laid astride. It is built up of equipment, including regimental standards, bundles of lances, machine-guns and a Stokes trench gun, with tripod and shells. Incidentally, it may be observed that the inclusion of the Stokes gun (invented by the distinguished Ipswich engineer, whose name it bears) is  especially appropriate, reflecting, as it does, anther side of the many contributions of the town towards the herculean national effort which ultimately secured the victory for our arms. The trophy is bound together with representations of cords, and draped with the Union Jack and St. George’s Banner. In its centre is depicted the familiar personal equipment of the soldier – a haversack, trenching tool, water bottle and gas mask, interwoven with stems of oak and laurel leaves, and surmounted by a rifle and helmet. On the rear side of the memorial is the dedication tablet, surmounted by the Borough Arms, and bearing the words, “In grateful memory of the men of Ipswich who gave their lives for their country, this memorial and the Hospital war memorial wing were erected by their fellow citizens.”

img_7741

Mr Edward Adams, A.R.I.B.A., of Manchester was responsible for the design of the memorial, which was thrown open to competition by all British architects, over 200 of whom submitted drawings. The underlying principle of Mr. Adams’s conception is repose, obtained by the horizontal distribution of the masses of the screen, broken and contrasted by the vertical mass of the cenotaph, the general effect being rather severe. The memorial stands on raising ground, in a sheltered and quiet corner of the park, and it has as its setting a group of magnificent poplars in the rear. Constructed  in Portland stone of particularly fine quality, it does infinite credit to the contractors, Messrs. Collins and Curtis, of Ipswich, a firm in which both partners are ex-service men. The bronze work was executed with great care by Messrs. Earp, Hobbs and Miller, sculptors, of Manchester, and the ensemble adds richly to the beauties of the park. The foreground, the path leading to the cenotaph, and the “surround” were executed by the Borough Surveyor (Mr. S. Little) and his department.

img_7419-001

The suitability of the site of the memorial for the commemoration services which will undoubtedly be held in its vicinity in years to come was amply demonstrated on Saturday, when the large congregation in close proximity to the cenotaph was able to take its full share in the memorable service.  Obviously it was impossible to provide special accommodation for all the many thousands who attended, but reserved enclosures were provided for the relatives of the fallen, for soldiers in uniform but not on parade and ex-service men wearing medals, and for those who are closely associated with the civil life of Ipswich. It was a graceful act on the part of several large subscribers to the memorial fund to stand aside on Saturday in order that those who were intimately concerned with these valiant men of Ipswich might have the facilities which were their just due, and the ladies and gentleman who were mingled with the throng on the outskirts of the enclosures are to be commended for their kindly consideration that they showed. Through the distribution of many hundreds of copies of the order of service, however, all were enabled to follow the proceedings intelligently and reverently, and it was, indeed, with a striking reverence that the throng  took up the opening lines of  Kipling’s “Recessional,” sung to the time-mellowed tune, Melita.

img_7738

A guard of honour, composed of 34 officers and 542 other ranks, and representing the 2nd Battalion Suffolk Regiment, the 4th Battalion Suffolk Regiment, the Royal Navy, the R.A.F., Coast Artillery, 58th Medium Artillery, 103rd R.F.A., the R.A.V.C., the F.A., and Ipswich School, flanked either side of the wide path leading to the steps of the of the memorial, and during the assembly of the congregation the band of the 2nd Suffolk’s played the first movement of Schubert’s Dramatic Symphony in B minor, and Sir Arthur Sullivan’s overture, “In Memoriam” in C major. The Deputy Mayor (Mr. A. Sizer), who officiated in place of the Mayor, and who wore his Worship’s scarlet robe and chain walked in state from the Town Hall to Christchurch Park, preceded by the sword and mace bearers, and accompanied by Lieut. General Sir Ayhmer Hunter-Weston, M.P., Rear-Admiral Sir Richard Webb, the Mayoress (Mrs. Staddon), the officers commanding the various military and naval units which took part in the proceedings. Col. Garrett, Canon A.L.Woodard (who carried the Bishop’s pastoral staff, and made a last public appearance as Rural Dean of Ipswich), Canon H.A. Douglas-Hamilton (St. Mary-le-Tower Church, the Rev. J.A Patten, M.C. (representing Free Churchmen), the High Steward of Ipswich (Sir Edward Packard), the Borough Member (Mr. Robert F. Jackson, the ex Chairmen of the War Memorial Committee (Messrs. E.C. Ransome, F.E. Rands, Frank Mason and Wm. Pipe), members of the Town Council Magistrates, members of the War Memorial Committee, various guests and the town officials. Assembled on the ground between the memorial and the Mansion were members of the Girl Guides, Boys Brigade, Boy Scouts, who paraded as companies, troops or units.

img_7744

The unveiling of both the cenotaph and the name panels was performed simultaneously, Sir Richard Webb releasing the Union Jack which enshrouded the cenotaph, and Sir Ayhner Hunter-Western removing the flags which covered the screen wall. As the bunting fluttered in the ground, the distinguished representatives of the sister services and the Guard of Honour came to the salute, and addresses were subsequently given.

img_7746

The second portion of the ceremony was of a religious character, and Canon Douglas Hamilton stepped forward to read a short Lesson from Revelations. Dedication prayers by the Bishop of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich were followed by a two minutes’ silence, broken only by the birds in the trees and the faint chatter of little children, borne on the breeze from across the park, where the tots were at play, unmindful of incapable of understanding the emotions of their elders. “Stand at ease” came a clear, crisp command to the guard, and the period of tension was broken. The Rev. John A. Patten, M.C., who wore khaki,  afterwards uttered prayers for all who suffered in the war and for the peace of the people, and the “Last Post” was sounded by buglers of the 2nd Battalion Suffolk Regiment.

img_7745

Before the formal procedure of handing over the memorial to the custody of the Mayor and burgesses of Ipswich for all time, the Ipswich Male Voice Choir, conducted by the Borough Organist (Mr. J. Job) gave a sweet, unaccompanied rendering of “The Reveille” (Edgar.) At its conclusion Mr. E.C. Ransome requested the Deputy Mayor to accept the memorial on behalf of the town, and he took the opportunity to return thanks to the subscribers to the memorial funds. He said that the bulk of the money was to be devoted to the building of the new memorial wing at the Hospital, but it was also felt that the names of the fallen should be recorded in some public place, and the cenotaph and screen unveiled that day were the results of that desire. The money subscribed, together with accumulated interest and the appreciation in the value of some of the investments, amounted to £50,000 in round figures. In the course of various acknowledgements, the speaker referred with gratitude to the work of Major G.R.C. Stuart in collecting and arranging the names which appeared on the memorial, and, turning to the Deputy Mayor, he said: “In the absence of the Mayor through illness, I have pleasure in asking you to accept this memorial, and to take it into your permanent care.”

“I accept, on behalf of the Mayor and the citizens of Ipswich, this beautiful memorial, which has been erected to the memory of those who have gone before and have left honour behind them,” replied Mr. Sizer.” I will take care, as far as I am able, that this cenotaph shall be carefully guarded, and that it shall receive the necessary attention to keep it the lasting memorial that it shall be for all time in honour of these men.”

A handsome wreath was placed on the memorial on behalf of the borough, and numerous officers carried to the base of the cenotaph floral tributes offered by the military, naval, and Air Force units. The memorable service concluded with the singing of “O God, our Help in ages past,” a bugle reveille the Blessing by the Bishop, and the singing of the National Anthem.

img_7739

The Mayoral procession having left the cenotaph, a poignant scene followed as the relatives filed to the cenotaph to place their floral tributes at its foot. Many hundreds of wreaths were borne to the memorial, and in numerous cases mothers and widows were overcome by grief and fainted. Skilled assistance was gently administered by members of the Ipswich Corps of the St. John Ambulance organisation, who had quite a busy time during the comparatively brief period that the service lasted. Under Corps Supt. I. Pawsey, there were 68 officers and men, and under Lady Corps Supt. Haggar 32 nurses, with temporary headquarters at the Mansion. In all 56 cases were dealt with chiefly fainting. Four of the cases, however, were of a more serious nature and had to be moved in the motor ambulance, three to their homes in Ipswich, and one, a naval lad to the sick bay at Shotley. During the major part of the ceremony the sun was very powerful and the heat was very noticeable. At the conclusion of the ceremony Sir Ayhmer Hunter-Weston, who is a Knight Justice of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem to England, paid a special visit to the Ambulance Station to congratulate both men and women of the brigade on their smart turnout and efficient work.

After the unveiling, guards were posted at the memorial by the 4th Battalion Suffolk Regiment, and sentries kept a vigil until dusk. At the conclusion of the service the Territorial bandsmen, under the conductorship of Mr. Lewin Taylor, played a two-hours’ programme of music, including “Pomp and Circumstance No. 4” (Elgar), “Le Chevalier Breton,” (Herman), “Humming” (L. Brean), “Up from Somerset” (Sanderson), “Sally” (Jerome Kern), “Bells of Ousley” (bell soloist, Bandsman Aldous), a new Sullivan selection arranged by Dan Godfrey, and a regimental march. Facilities were given to the Boys’ Brigades, Scouts, and Girl Guides to march past the cenotaph, and subsequently the general public were given opportunities to make a closer inspection of it. Large numbers of people again visited the memorial on Sunday, when sentries were once more posted by the 4th Battalion Suffolk Regiment.

 

 

ARMISTICE SCENE ON THE CORNHILL, IPSWICH.

img_8083

SUFFOLK CHRONICLE AND MERCURY, Friday, November 15th, 1918.

The scenes in Ipswich were unprecedented. Shortly after the news was received practically all business ceased and crowds ever increasing, thronged the streets, singing, waving flags, discharging fireworks, and generally letting their long pent-up feelings loose. At noon the Cornhill was packed from end to end when the Mayor (Mr. E.C. Ransome), in full state, accompanied by members of the Corporation and other public bodies in the town, appeared to officially announce the joyful news. The scene and the magnificent sound of the National Anthem, which followed will be remembered for a long time by those who were present.

img_8249An artist impression of the town hall steps with the Mayor and council members.

Towards dusk the relaxing of the lighting restrictions was taken advantage of as fully as was possible, and the street scenes became even more boisterous. But whilst these scenes were being enacted in the streets, in many of the churches and chapels large congregations assembled to return their thanks for the many blessings which had been vouchsafed  during the terrible time now happily past. At Mary-le-Tower Church the Mayor attended with members of the Corporation, and the Bishop of the Diocese delivered an earnest and appropriate address. Arrangements had been made for a joint parade of the Volunteer units in the town, but at the last minutes this was vetoed, and the crowd had to be content with listening to the strains of the Volunteer Band, bravely trying to make itself heard above the continuous cheering and discharge of fireworks. On a minor scale the rejoicings were continued on Tuesday, but the crowds were by no means so large.

suffolk records office

SUFFOLK CHRONICLE AND MERCURY, Friday, December 20th, 1918.

 

PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE ZEPPELIN RAID ON IPSWICH IN 1916.

 

As a result of the success which attended the publication of the Woodbridge Zeppelin raid on the page last week, we now present to our readers photographs taken by our staff photographer of the damage done in Key Street, Ipswich, in the Zeppelin raid of Friday, March 31st, 1916. Like the Woodbridge pictures, permission was granted to take these photographs on condition that they were not published until the restrictions on circulating news of air raids should be removed.

img_8254

The raid in which the damage depicted above was done was not the first occasion on which the town on the Orwell had suffered from the unwelcome attentions of hostile aircraft, as some twelve months previously a fly-by-night Hun aircraft dropped incendiary bombs in the western district of the town, setting fire to three houses in Brooks Hall Road, which were completely gutted. As that raid was fully reported, with illustrations, it is unnecessary now to make further reference to it. But on many other nights especially during the dark period of the moon, our towns people had heard the nerve-tensing drone of the Zeppelin engines overhead, and listened to the crashing explosions of bombs, which fortunately dropped where they did no harm,

img_8256  img_8257  img_8259

But on Friday, March 31st, 1916, about 7.30, the then familiar cry of “lights out” was heard in the streets, and quickly everything was in darkness, many people hurrying home, so as not to be in the streets if anything should happen. The raider which visited the town arrived quicker than was expected, and just after the five minutes to eight “bull” sounded a reverberating report was heard, followed a few minutes afterward by a second. A telephone message to the Central Police Station from No.2 Station at the Custom House advised the authorities  that a bomb had been dropped in Key Street completely demolishing one cottage and seriously damaging a house, separated by a driftway from the cottage. The inhabitants of the damaged houses had miraculous escapes, but fortunately had nothing more serious than a severe fright and shaking. But the raid did not prove  barren of victims as a man named David Bishop Cattermole, aged 57, who was passing through Key Street at the time was killed, and a soldier  and two women were injured, whilst the noise of the explosion proved fatal to two women in feeble health, who succumbed to shock. The clock in the Custom House tower was smashed, whilst the flying fragments of the bomb deeply seared the adjourning and opposite walls, whilst numerous windows were blown out. An incendiary bomb was also dropped at the same time as the explosive, but failed  to ignite, and was removed intact.

img_8255

After dropping the bomb which did the damage in Key Street, the Zeppelin proceeded straight across the Wet Dock to the New Cut, and where immediately in front of the Ipswich Malting Company’s premises dropped another bomb which fell in to the river, this being removed the next day by the military.  Turning practically at right angles , the raider proceeded towards the Stoke Bathing Place. From what can be reconstructed from the next happenings. it seems  that the Huns were either trying for the Lock Gates or for the Waterside Works as they dropped a bomb inside the bathing enclosure, wrecking several of the bathing huts and blowing a huge hole in the bank. Whatever their object, both the Lock Gates and the Waterside Works had a very lucky escape as the former place is not more than 300 yards distant from where the bomb fell, whilst the latter place is not so far removed. Had either objectives been struck the damage must have been considerable for in the first case  the trade of the port would have been disorganised, whilst in the latter case, one shudders to think what might have happened as regard loss of life, as Messrs. Ransomes and Rapiers’ works were engaged on the manufacture of munitions, employing a large number of hands, who owing  to the course of events, had not sufficient time to get clear of the premises. The hindrance to the output of war material would also have been serious.

1917

Brave Ipswich men who died on this day:17th February 1917

Frank Stanley Brame
Suffolk Regiment, ‘B’ Coy, 8th Battalion
Suffolk Road, Ipswich (form. South Green, Hoxne, Suffolk)
Robert James Cobbold
Suffolk Regiment, 8th Battalion
Metz Street, Ipswich
Albert Edward Everett
Suffolk Regiment, 8th Battalion
Commercial Road, Ipswich.
Alfred Henry Trench
Suffolk Regiment, 8th Battalion
Dorkin Street, Ipswich

17th February the 8th Battalion: extracts from Suffolk Regiment records:
“On the 17th the advance towards Miraumont began,8th battalion 05:45 am under very trying weather conditions, severe frost which lasted for a month suddenly breaking on the eve of the battle and rapid thaw converting the ground into a morass of the worst description. very few duckboard tracks existed there at the time, and the nearest hut being over two miles from the front line, the carrying parties had a most difficult task. The process of forming up for attack had to be carried out at night in a thick mist and under a hostile barrage as well-zero hour having become known to the enemy. The battalion gained its objectives quickly in spite of stubborn fighting in the front of the uncut wire, and the leading waves succeeded in establishing themselves within a few hundred yards of Petit Miraumont. The work of consolidation was rendered less difficult by the mist, which prevented enemy observation and permitted freer movement across the open than normally possible.

In the action, which reflected the greatest credit on all ranks of the 8th Battalion, one incident stands out conspicuously. Seeing his company held up by the wire, L/Cpl. W. Savage with seven men having discovered a small gap therein, rushed fearlessly through into the enemy’s trench, killing with his own hands the first four Germans he met and effecting the surrender of the rest of the party, which consisted of fourteen men with a machine gun L/Cpl. Savage received the DCM.

The casualties in the Battalion amounted to 130 men. This victory marked the beginning of the retreat to the Hindenburg line.”

Suffolk Regiment 1914-1927 by Lt-Col. C.C.R.Murphy

William Savage DCM a former Ipswich golf club caddy died of his wounds in 1918 age 24.

8th (Service) Battalion
09.09.1914 Formed at Bury St. Edmunds as part of the Second New Army (K2) and then moved to Shorncliffe to join the 53rd Brigade of the 18th Division.
Oct 1914 Moved to Colchester.
May 1915 Moved to Codford, Salisbury Plain.
25.07.1915 Mobilised for war and landed at Boulogne and the Division engaged in various actions on the Western Front including;
During 1916
The Battle of Albert, The Battle of Bazentin Ridge, The Battle of Delville Wood, The Battle of Thiepval Ridge, The Battle of the Ancre Heights, The Battle of the Ancre.
During 1917
Operations on the Ancre, The German retreat to the Hindenburg Line, The Third Battle of the Scarpe, The Battle of Pilkem Ridge, The Battle of Langemarck, The First and Second Battles of Passchendaele.

Suffolk reg

WILLIAM MARSHALL (2)

12th October 1916.
15 Ipswich men lost their lives during

the Battle of Transloy

Walter Douglas Ager
Frederick Thomas Aldred
Arthur Frank Bultitude
Charles Henry Creasy
Herbert John Emsden
George William Howard
Robert Gerald Kidd
William Marshall
John James Osborn
James Parker
Ernest Pinner
Ernest Henry Pooley
Jack Harold Potter
Harold George Winslow Todd
Edward George Acomb Wilson

 

On the 11th October the Suffolk Regiment 7th Battalion, having been allotted its task in the Battle of Transloy (already in progress) received the orders to take part in an attack on “Bayonet Trench” and “Luisenhof farm”, which had been fixed for the 12th.Going in over-night , they were heavily shelled until they occupied their assembly trenches just before dawn. All the company headquarters were in a large dugout in the sunken road leading to Guedecourt wood. After passing a reasonably quiet forenoon the battalion set out across the open at 2pm coming immediately under a very heavy cross fire of every description, but mainly from machine guns and automatic rifles. Close to the German trenches the attack was held up by machinegun nests and wire, and waves, unable to get any further, lay down. At this juncture remarkable bravery was displayed by several officers, non-commissioned officer, and men. Luet. Eagle is reported to have died fighting in the German first line, into which he had forced an entrance alone. 2 nd Lieut. Marshall, in a shell-hole with his servant and a sergeant, was bombed and sniped all afternoon, and later killed. They were close up against the German wire, but refused to go back. Captain Isham, badly wounded during the afternoon, spent the night in a shell-hole, being visited by Lieut. Bowen (himself wounded), who remained with him till dark.
The full story of this sad day, on which the 7th Battalion sustained over 500 casualties, has never been described in print. Let it suffice to say that all ranks, especially the reinforcements which recently arrived from the 6th Cyclist Battalion (becoming the 7th), acquitted themselves admirably.

The failure of the attack was due in some measure to the facts that the enemy’s wire had been only partially destroyed, and that the barrage during the launching of the attack was ineffective.

Before zero hour Captain Leith-Hay-Clarke had been twice buried by shells. Of the fourteen officers who went over the top on this occasion all became casualties.

For his part in the action Rev. A.E Cousins, chaplain to the 7th Battalion received the Military Cross.

Lieut. Bowen, wounded for the second time in three months was also awarded the Military Cross.

Transcript from “The History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914-1927 by Lieut. Col. C.C.R Murphy”

18th August 1916

Ipswich men who died on this day from the Suffolk Regiment.
Out of these 19 men it is hard to calculate the numbers who died of their wounds in the following days, months, years from this one action.

Suffolk reg

The Somme offensive took over 100 Ipswich men’s lives.
On this day the 4th Suffolk’s advanced on

“High Wood”

Charles AddisonGladwell-001   Albert Stanley Smith   GERALD ARTHUR WAGSTAFF 1  ROUTH

4th Btn. On the 18th, not long before zero hour, captain H.F. Ling was wounded, and still later, Lieut. R.D. Hume, M.C., entailing important changes in command at the last moment. Captain Ling remained in the trenches until the attack was over. Neither of the battalions on the right and left was able to make much progress. The 4th Battalion, in the centre, pushed forward. For a time two of our companies occupied Wood Lane trench, but being unsupported, and 2nd Lieut. Bedwell (the only officer to reach the trench) having been killed, it was impossible to hold on. However, considering that the battalion has attacked after four days in the front line, it was justly pleased with its work. A rough night followed, during which the battalion was relieved. Early next morning they moved to Fricourt Wood, and at sundown proceeded to a camp north-east of Meaulte, near Albert Road. The casualties on August 18th were as follows – Killed: 2nd Lieuts. V.L.S. Bedwell, H.C. Pawsey, and E. Norton, and 33 other ranks. Wounded: Captain H.F.Ling; 2nd Lieut. N.E. Suttle, and 108 other ranks. Missing: 50 other ranks. Total, 196. The 2nd battalion were seeing action at Cochrane Alley.

The History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914 – 1927 by Lieut.-Colonel C.C.R. Murphy (late the Suffolk Regiment)

Charles Addison

aged 20. KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

William Clive Attewell

aged 21 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

Harold Arthur Bailey

aged 19 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

William James Baker

aged 30 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th

Percy James Berry

aged 27 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 2nd Battalion

Vivian Barrell Bradley

aged 19 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

William Chaplin

aged 27 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

Albert Edward English

aged 30 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 1st/4th Battalion

Walter Edmund Fiddaman

aged 19 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

Albert Daniel Game

aged 23 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

Robert Charles Gladwell

aged 20 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

John William Gooding

aged 21 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

William Howard

aged 32 DOFW The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

Leslie Cyril Ratliff

aged 18 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

Thomas Robinson

aged 24 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 2nd Battalion

Arthur Joseph Seager

aged 24 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion.

Albert Stanley Smith

aged 20 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

Gerald Arthur Wagstaff

aged 32 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 2nd Battalion.

Percy Potter Wyatt

aged 19 KIA The Somme
Suffolk Regiment, 4th Battalion

August 13th  1915

The sinking of the Royal Edward and the loss of 11 Ipswich men

Royal Edward

Arthur John Avis

Ernest Edward Bloomfield

Edward Ernest Chamberlain

Albert Edmund Nuttall

Ernest William Roberts

Frederick Sharman

Robert Charles Snell

Frederick Arthur Stevens

Albert Victor Stubbs

James Woods

Charles Worledge


Address

Ipswich War Memorial and Cenotaph
Christchurch Park
Ipswich
IP4 2BE

Ipswich War Memorial and Cenotaph

Click to open a larger map